Thermal Resistance between Chip to Gold Tin Solder

In summary: A junction is the point at which two or more electrical conductors meet. It is the point of division between two circuits in an electrical system, where one circuit branches off to another part of the system.
TeddyLu
I'm currently doing a heat sink calculation design and having a little confused moment with the area of the chip with a AuSn (Gold Tin Solder) pre-cut that's attached to the bottom of the chip.

I've tried looking around online for AuSn's thermal resistance value, but there is none besides a thermal conductivity. I know that the thermal resistance and thermal conductivity is related as one is based on the area and the other based on the thickness respectively.

My question is would it even be necessary to calculate the thermal resistance and put it into my heat sink calculations as the thickness of the material is so small that it's negligible (about 1mm thick) in the overall aspect of the heat sink design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on the relevance/task. Sometimes it's enough to prove that it is really negligible for the actual application.

... but for example I'm on a task where we are fighting over 100um thickness against 75um (Standard IMS vs. AlOx)

Thickness alone does not say much.

I see..My application is just a simple design of a heat sink to keep the chip in recommended operating temperatures. Doesn't have to go into anything advance.

Well I SHOULD know how to do this off the top of my head, and if you really want to work in a field where this is a relevant issue, then maybe you should also?

So - thanks Google:
76f0a5abbd2a53d4a86005490f2e011668b333ae

So a 1 Sq cm die and 1mm thick ( seems to be very thick to me..) and AuSN k = 57 W/ m*C ( I prefer to reference Kelvin in these - but that is for another discussion) ...

= 0.001 / (0.01)^2 * 57 = 1/57

A 1 Sq CM Die will have a Rth of 1/57 = 0.0175 C/W... so... 100W -- will have deltaT of 1.75 C rise across the junction... BUT you say "attached"- is the solder actually soldered to BOTH the die and the heatsink? If so then this should be a good number, if not, you have to consider the junctions chip->solder Solder->HS

Hi Windadct,

Thank you for your insight, the chip is actually soldered to a small copper moly copper plate. I was having a hard time trying to distinguish if the stated thermal resistance (θjc) of the chip from the data sheet actually meant the thermal resistance from the top of the chip to the bottom where it's in contact with another surface or in contact with a heat sink specifically.

Could you clarify upon that part?

j = Junction, the source of the heat, typically a theoretical average- in the middle of the die... the "top" is not the best way to think about it ( if you put a sensor there is will be cooler than the Max Tj )

c = case

The typical model looks like a resistor voltage divider, with the Junction being the starting point and Ambient ( or coolant) being some form of an unlimited sink.

Tj @ "x" Watts -- the source
| Rjc k/w
Tc
| Rcs
Tsink ( surface)
| Tsa
T ambient ( coolant temp)

The Wikipedia also shows this..

Also - a description at PowerGuru.org ( larger devices )

What is thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder?

The thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder, also known as junction-to-case thermal resistance, is a measure of how well heat can be transferred from a semiconductor chip to the gold tin solder that connects it to a circuit board.

Why is thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder important?

The thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder is important because it affects the overall performance and reliability of electronic devices. If the thermal resistance is too high, the chip will not be able to dissipate heat efficiently, leading to overheating and potential failure.

How is thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder calculated?

The thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder is calculated by dividing the temperature difference between the chip and the ambient air by the amount of power dissipated by the chip. It is typically measured in degrees Celsius per watt (°C/W).

What factors can affect thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder?

Several factors can affect the thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder, including the material properties of the chip and solder, the design and layout of the circuit board, and the ambient temperature and airflow around the device.

How can thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder be reduced?

Thermal resistance between chip to gold tin solder can be reduced by using materials with higher thermal conductivity, optimizing the layout of the circuit board to improve heat dissipation, and implementing effective cooling solutions such as heat sinks or fans.