1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Stress Analysis in a barrel of a T-80 tank

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find thermal stresses that will be produced in a tank barrel as a result of firing. First of all, I want to know if theses stresses can be small enough to be neglected? And if not, then how can they be calculated? I basically know the solution but I want to be sure. If I can improve my solution in any way or if there can be another way to solve it, I would be interested.
    I don't know the temperature after firing so I would be denoting it with T and initial temperature will be To.

2. Relevant equations
    Thermal Stress= elastic modulus * coefficient of expansion * change in temperature
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the
    E=205 G Pa
    coefficient of expansion = 15.69 x 10-6 m/m.°C
    change in temperature = T-To
    stress= 205*109 * 15.69 x 10-6 * (T-To)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2015 #2
    The barrel is constrained only to the turret only. It is smooth bore, auto-frettaged and chrome-platted. It is made up of a single layer of material properties of which I have provided.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted