Thermal Stress Analysis in a barrel of a T-80 tank

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
UsamaHameed
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to find thermal stresses that will be produced in a tank barrel as a result of firing. First of all, I want to know if theses stresses can be small enough to be neglected? And if not, then how can they be calculated? I basically know the solution but I want to be sure. If I can improve my solution in any way or if there can be another way to solve it, I would be interested.
I don't know the temperature after firing so I would be denoting it with T and initial temperature will be To.

Homework Equations


Thermal Stress= elastic modulus * coefficient of expansion * change in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution


Using the
E=205 G Pa
coefficient of expansion = 15.69 x 10-6 m/m.°C
change in temperature = T-To
stress= 205*109 * 15.69 x 10-6 * (T-To)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The barrel is constrained only to the turret only. It is smooth bore, auto-frettaged and chrome-platted. It is made up of a single layer of material properties of which I have provided.