1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Stresses in the barrel of a tank

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    I want to calculate the thermal stresses in the barrel of a tank. The barrel is smooth bore, auto-frettaged and chrome-platted. I want to know if the thermal stresses are small enough to be neglected and if not, then how can I find them?
    Relevant Equation:
    Thermal Stress= modulus * coefficient of expansion * change in temperature

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Empirically the thermal stresses cannot be neglected. The Muzzle Reference System provides thermal strain input to the fire control computer.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3
    I would like to hear a little more information. Is the barrel constrained in any way? Is it composed of layers of materials with different thermal expansion coefficients?

Chet

5. Dec 24, 2014 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

The publicly accessible information on the M256 Rheinmetall 120 mm smoothbore gun, the M1 Abrams MBT armament, would suggest not, and it does use a Muzzle Reference System to the FC computer. Remember that the device must be as economical as possible and this one's life span is roughly one ammunition load ~50 rounds.

ETA: Fact checking myself, I noticed that barrel heating by sunlight is specifically mentioned.
    ETA II: Over wine at supper I realized that layering might increase hoop strength but not longitudinal strength/stiffness, that would come from an increase in overall diameter/thickness or fluting.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  6. Dec 24, 2014 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Wow, just 50 shots?

7. Dec 24, 2014 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Yes, with the highest velocity ammo.

Burton, Larry; Robert Carter; Victor Champagne; et al. (1 January 2004). "Army Targets Age Old Problems with New Gun Barrel Technologies". AMPTIAC Quarterly (Rome, New York: Advanced Materials and Processes Technology Information Analysis Center) 8 (4)

8. Dec 24, 2014 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Interesting. So in Desert Shield, they were replacing gun barrels like crazy, or did they settle for less accuracy over the few-day campaign?

9. Dec 24, 2014 #8
    Even if the barrel is unconstrained and is not layered, thermal stresses can still develop within the barrel as a result of temperature non-uniformities that occur as a result of firing.

Chet

10. Dec 24, 2014 #9

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

How many rounds were fired and how many on average?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted