Thermal Stresses in the barrel of a tank

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
UsamaHameed
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I want to calculate the thermal stresses in the barrel of a tank. The barrel is smooth bore, auto-frettaged and chrome-platted. I want to know if the thermal stresses are small enough to be neglected and if not, then how can I find them?
Relevant Equation:
Thermal Stress= modulus * coefficient of expansion * change in temperature
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Empirically the thermal stresses cannot be neglected. The Muzzle Reference System provides thermal strain input to the fire control computer.
 
I would like to hear a little more information. Is the barrel constrained in any way? Is it composed of layers of materials with different thermal expansion coefficients?

Chet
 
The publicly accessible information on the M256 Rheinmetall 120 mm smoothbore gun, the M1 Abrams MBT armament, would suggest not, and it does use a Muzzle Reference System to the FC computer. Remember that the device must be as economical as possible and this one's life span is roughly one ammunition load ~50 rounds.

ETA: Fact checking myself, I noticed that barrel heating by sunlight is specifically mentioned.
ETA II: Over wine at supper I realized that layering might increase hoop strength but not longitudinal strength/stiffness, that would come from an increase in overall diameter/thickness or fluting.
 
Last edited:
Yes, with the highest velocity ammo.

Burton, Larry; Robert Carter; Victor Champagne; et al. (1 January 2004). "Army Targets Age Old Problems with New Gun Barrel Technologies". AMPTIAC Quarterly (Rome, New York: Advanced Materials and Processes Technology Information Analysis Center) 8 (4)
 
Interesting. So in Desert Shield, they were replacing gun barrels like crazy, or did they settle for less accuracy over the few-day campaign?
 
Even if the barrel is unconstrained and is not layered, thermal stresses can still develop within the barrel as a result of temperature non-uniformities that occur as a result of firing.

Chet
 
How many rounds were fired and how many on average?