1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Thermo] - Maxwells Relations? Prove the Validity of the Equations

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are working on some problems for class and we are given statements which I accept as valid but don't know how to prove they are valid. I believe I have to utilize the maxwell relations but the terms seem unfamiliar to me.

2. Relevant equations

(1)
    Partial
    (d^2f / ds^2)_T = T / Kv

(2)
    Partial
    (d^2h / ds^2)_P = T / C_p

(3)
    Partial
    (d^2u / ds^2)_v = T / C_v

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first equation, I know that the isothermal compressibiity K = -1/v partial(dv/dP)_T

For the second equation I also know that C_p/T = partial(ds/dT)_P = 1/T * partial(dh/dT)_P and i need to take this knowledge to combine the equations but I don't see how I would be getting the square on the ds out of this. Obviously I'm missing something.

C_v/T should be the same proof with u in place of h holding v constant.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take a look at my recent post on Maxwell relations. To handle the second derivative, note that [itex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial S}\right)_P[/itex] is also known as [itex]T[/itex]. So differentiate [itex]T[/itex] with respect to [itex]S[/itex] again at constant pressure. Does this help?

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    Thank You, I think the answers were staring me in the face but in a different format and i didn't put 2 and 2 together until your response. I now have a solution where T=du/ds with v constant and T=dh/ds with p constant (correct?) and plugging these in to the equations cv=T(ds/dt)_v and cp=T(dt/ds)_p to get the desired proof. I think its right.

I'm still struggling with the third one however so any assistance would be appreciated. How do you make the proper symbols appear?

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first relation can't be true, the units don't match up.

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    Yes thats the one i'm struggling with sorry, the first one. The 2nd and 3rd I believe I have proven as said in the previous post.

I completely screwed up the first one, the actual problem is as follows:

(d^2f / dv^2)_T = 1 / Kv

This is the one I am struggling with at the moment. Sorry I was trying too hard to convey the format of the problem that i got the variables wrong somehow.

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Try writing out the differential form of the Helmholtz free energy dF and taking the derivative of that twice with respect to V at constant T. The first derivative equals a well-known parameter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?