1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic assembly - Statistical Thermodynamics

1. Jun 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a model thermodynamic assembly in which the allowed (nondegenerate) states have energies 0, ε, 2ε, 3ε.The assembly has four distinguishable (localized) particles and a total energy U = 6ε. Tabulate the nine possible distributions of the four particles among the energy levels nε where n = 0, 1...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried tabulating it but I can only find five possible distributions that add up to 6ε.

3ε......2......1......1................
    2ε..............1..............2......3
    ε................1......3......2.......

I'm stumped as to where to go form now and I cannot find the other four. Is there some part of the theory I'm getting wrong or I'm not understanding?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

It looks correct to me. The other possibility is if you consider the particles distinguishable, then you need to label the particle at a given energy level. If that is the case, and I counted correctly, I get 44 different states.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted