1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic pressure/temperature question

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider filling a cylinder of compressed argon from a high-pressure supply line. Before filling, the cylinder contains 10 bar of argon at room temperature the valve is then opened, exposing the tank to a 50 bar line at room temperature until the cylinder reaches 50bar. The valve is then closed. For argon take C_p =5/2 *R and the molecular weight to be 40kg/mol. You may use the ideal gas model.
    a) what is the temperature after the valve is closed.
    b)if the cylinder sits in storage for a long time how much heat is transferred.
    c) what is the pressure of the cylinder when it is shipped (after sitting a long time)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so I'm not really worried about b or c yet since I can't get a.

Anyway My attempt:

I used an equation my prof gave us T2=(P2*(Cp/Cv)*T1)/(P2-P1 + P1/T1*(Cp/Cv)*T1

I plugged in the given value for Cp used Cv=Cp-R
    used P2=50bar P1=10bar T1=298K and got 59.4 However I am pretty sure the temperature wouldn't go down, if anything it should go up since it is being compressed to a higher pressure. can anyone help maybe this equation is wrong or something? my prof writes really sloppy and I can't read it properly sometimes, let me know if this is the right forum too I wasn't sure where to put this question!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think of the gas in the cylinder being compressed by the inflowing gas (eg. think of the argon in the cylinder being contained in a sealed rubber balloon that is then compressed to 50 bar). The inflowing gas, however, does not experience a net compression.

Work out the temperature for an adiabatic compression of the gas that is originally in the cylinder. Then let the two mix so that the temperature evens out.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook