1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic Steam Generator Problem.

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a problem which I will attach a picture of, regarding a system composing of a heat recovery steam generator and a turbine. I have to work out the power output of the turbine, which I think I will be fine with. What I would like to know is, how does the combustion products entering and exiting the steam generator affect the other input of water which also enters and exits the steam generator. I noticed that the temperature decreases when the combustion products exits the system. Does the drop in temperature mean that the heat transfers to the water flowing through the system? The combustion products are to be treated as air and an ideal gas.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Heat transfer from the combustion products to the water is the general purpose of the heat recovery steam generator. For the purpose of solving this problem, assume that the given flow rates of the working fluid (water) and the combustion products remain constant.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    How would I work this heat transfer out? I have a volumetric flow rate would I need to convert this to a mass flow rate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook