Thermodynamics: 3-chambered system

In summary: CpΔT), and then the isochoric heating (q =...).So, q = q1 + q2 + q3 = ΔU - wC. Is this method correct?In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate q, w, ΔU, ΔH, and ΔS for a 3-chambered system with adiabatic walls and an ideal gas. The final conditions for each chamber are given, along with calculations for chambers A and B. The main question is how to find the values for chamber C, with two possible methods suggested. The expert suggests using the first law to find q, where q = ΔUTotal
Jormungandr

Homework Statement

In a 3-chambered system, separated by 2 pistons, all of the walls are adiabatic, except for the wall on the outside of chamber C (the wall marked }).

[A | B | C}

The pistons are frictionless, the gas fills all 3 chambers and is ideal, and [itex]\bar{}[/itex] = R. Total volume = 12 m3

Chamber A:
300K --> 261.856 K
4 bar --> 3.047 bar
3 m3 --> 3.437 m3

Chamber B:
500 K --> 436.364 K
4 bar --> 3.047 bar
6 m3 --> 6.875 m3

Chamber C:
700 K --> 300 K
4 bar --> 3.047 bar
3 m3 --> 1.688 m3

Calculate q, w, ΔU, ΔH, and ΔS for each chamber.

The Attempt at a Solution

So part (a) wanted us to calculate all of the final conditions after equilibrium, given only that Tf in chamber C is 300 K. Somewhat tricky, but I'm fairly sure the values there are correct.

I was also able to find all of the values needed for chambers A and B:

Chamber A:
q = 0 J
w = -152.575 kJ
ΔU = -152.575 kJ
ΔH = -305.150 kJ
ΔS = 0 J

Chamber B:
q = 0 J
w = -305.452 kJ
ΔU = -305.452 kJ
ΔH = -610.903 kJ
ΔS = 0 J

So far, for chamber C, I found that:
ΔU = -685.710 kJ
ΔH = -1371.421 kJ

But I can't seem to find out what w, q, and ΔS would be. A classmate of mine contends that because we don't know the nature of chamber A (adiabatic, isothermal, isobaric, etc...), but because it is all reversible, we can find ΔS through first an isothermal, reversible expansion, followed by isochoric heating, then we can find q and then w. I thought perhaps that wA would simply be -(wB + wC), because that would work for a 2-chambered piston, but I'm not sure if it would work for a 3-chambered one. Any input would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. Because no work is done by the 3-chamber system (since its volume is constant), wC=-(wA+wB). You also know the change in internal energy for the 3-chamber system, so, from the first law, you know the amount of heat q. This heat all applies to chamber C. The change in specific entropy for an ideal gas is determined by ΔS = CvΔln(T)+RΔln(V).

Chestermiller said:
You're right. Because no work is done by the 3-chamber system (since its volume is constant), wC=-(wA+wB). You also know the change in internal energy for the 3-chamber system, so, from the first law, you know the amount of heat q. This heat all applies to chamber C. The change in specific entropy for an ideal gas is determined by ΔS = CvΔln(T)+RΔln(V).

So, it wouldn't be correct to use q = nRT ln (Vf/Vi) + n [itex]\int_{700}^{300} \bar{C_{v}}dT[/itex]? That's what my friend thinks is correct; essentially it's the same way we found ΔS, but we aren't dividing by T, because ΔS = q/T.

Wouldn't there be expansion work against volume in chamber B and A that would diminish the amount of work done on C? That's the main argument I can think of against just using the negative of works A and B.

So, essentially, I've come down to 2 methods of calculating q:

q = -wC = - [-(wA + wB)]

or

q = nRT ln (Vf/Vi) + n [itex]\int_{700}^{300} \bar{C_{v}}dT[/itex]

And I'm not sure which is correct.

Last edited:
Jormungandr said:
So, it wouldn't be correct to use q = nRT ln (Vf/Vi) + n [itex]\int_{700}^{300} \bar{C_{v}}dT[/itex]? That's what my friend thinks is correct; essentially it's the same way we found ΔS, but we aren't dividing by T, because ΔS = q/T.

No. This is not correct. The first term is wrong because T is not constant.
Wouldn't there be expansion work against volume in chamber B and A that would diminish the amount of work done on C? That's the main argument I can think of against just using the negative of works A and B.
There is work against volume in chambers B and A. But the total amount of work done by the gas in the closed constant-volume 3-compartment container is zero. Writing wC = -(wA + wB) is how you take this into account.
So, essentially, I've come down to 2 methods of calculating q:

q = -wC = - [-(wA + wB)]

or

q = nRT ln (Vf/Vi) + n [itex]\int_{700}^{300} \bar{C_{v}}dT[/itex]

And I'm not sure which is correct.
Neither method is correct. You know that, for the overall container, w = 0, and you have calculated ΔU for each of the three containers. So you know the total change in internal energy of the combined 3 chambers: ΔUTotal=ΔUA+ΔUB+ΔUC
So, from the first law applied to the overall combination of 3 chambers: q = ΔUTotal. This is not only the heat added to the combination of the three chambers (actually, it's negative, so heat is removed), but also the heat added to chamber C, since chambers A and B are adiabatic.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No. This is not correct. The first term is wrong because T is not constant.

There is work against volume in chambers B and A. But the total amount of work done by the gas in the closed constant-volume 3-compartment container is zero. Writing wC = -(wA + wB) is how you take this into account.

Neither method is correct. You know that, for the overall container, w = 0, and you have calculated ΔU for each of the three containers. So you know the total change in internal energy of the combined 3 chambers: ΔUTotal=ΔUA+ΔUB+ΔUC
So, from the first law applied to the overall combination of 3 chambers: q = ΔUTotal. This is not only the heat added to the combination of the three chambers (actually, it's negative, so heat is removed), but also the heat added to chamber C, since chambers A and B are adiabatic.

Chet

Ah, sorry, for the first one I meant q = ΔU - wC = ΔU - [- (wA + wB)].

For the second, his rationale is that you can take the process stepwise, and calculate the q for first the isothermal, reversible expansion (q = nRT ln (Vf/Vi), where T = 300 K), and then calculate q for the isochoric heating (q = n ∫ Cv dT), and then add them together. I do know this works for ΔS, because it's a state function, but adding the q's together like this doesn't work, correct? And so the only method viable is to find it from ΔU - wC, which we find as the negative of works A and B?

Jormungandr said:
Ah, sorry, for the first one I meant q = ΔU - wC = ΔU - [- (wA + wB)].

For the second, his rationale is that you can take the process stepwise, and calculate the q for first the isothermal, reversible expansion (q = nRT ln (Vf/Vi), where T = 300 K), and then calculate q for the isochoric heating (q = n ∫ Cv dT), and then add them together. I do know this works for ΔS, because it's a state function, but adding the q's together like this doesn't work, correct?
Yes. That's correct. q is path-dependent, as is w. Only q-w is not path dependent for a closed system.
And so the only method viable is to find it from ΔU - wC, which we find as the negative of works A and B?
There is another viable method. That's the method I described in my previous post of getting the total ΔU for the combined system. You should verify that both these methods give the same answer for q.

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Yes. That's correct. q is path-dependent, as is w. Only q-w is not path dependent for a closed system.

There is another viable method. That's the method I described in my previous post of getting the total ΔU for the combined system. You should verify that both these methods give the same answer for q.

Actually, the two methods don't give me the same answer. If I use wC = -(wA + wB), I get wC = 458.027 kJ, and q = ΔU - w = -227.683 kJ.
If I take ΔU of the entire system to be qC, then I get -1143.737 kJ. I'm not sure, but why would w = 0 for the entire system?

EDIT: I just re-calculated it, they are indeed equal. That's nice to see. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hello Kyle.

How are you doing on this exam?

1. What is a 3-chambered system in thermodynamics?

A 3-chambered system in thermodynamics is a system that consists of three interconnected chambers, each containing a different substance or phase, such as gas, liquid, or solid. These chambers interact with each other and exchange energy and matter through various processes, such as heat transfer and work.

2. How does a 3-chambered system work?

In a 3-chambered system, the chambers are separated by walls that allow for energy and matter to be exchanged between them. The system operates based on the principles of thermodynamics, such as conservation of energy and the second law of thermodynamics, which govern the direction and efficiency of energy and matter transfer.

3. What are the applications of a 3-chambered system in thermodynamics?

A 3-chambered system can be used in various industrial processes, such as refrigeration, power generation, and chemical reactions. It can also be used in research and experimentation to study the behavior of different substances and their interactions under different conditions.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3-chambered system in thermodynamics?

A 3-chambered system allows for better control and manipulation of energy and matter transfer, leading to more efficient and precise processes. It also allows for the study of complex thermodynamic phenomena, such as phase transitions, in a controlled environment.

5. What are the limitations of a 3-chambered system in thermodynamics?

One limitation of a 3-chambered system is that it can be difficult to accurately model and predict the behavior of the system, as it involves intricate interactions between multiple substances and phases. Additionally, the construction and maintenance of a 3-chambered system can be costly and require specialized equipment and expertise.