Thermodynamics cooking Question

In summary: When the temperature is greater than 100 deg C the water boils and turns into vapor. To get the highest temperature in that phase the pan would need to be covered with a heavy lid. This will give the shortest cooking time.Is this correct or am I on the right path? thanks.When the temperature is greater than 100 deg C the water boils and turns into vapor. To get the highest temperature in that phase the pan would need to be covered with a heavy lid. This will give the shortest cooking time.Is this correct or am I on the right path? thanks.You are on the right track. The heavy lid will give you the shortest cooking time.
ashkash

Homework Statement

A househusband is cooking beef stew for his family in a pan that is (a) uncovered, (b) covered with a light lid, and (c) covered with a heavy lid. For which case will the cooking be the shortest? Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this question. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashkash said:

Homework Statement

A househusband is cooking beef stew for his family in a pan that is (a) uncovered, (b) covered with a light lid, and (c) covered with a heavy lid. For which case will the cooking be the shortest? Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this question. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Think of the beef being cooked in water on an element that is at a temperature greater than 100 deg. C.

What happens to the water? What is the temperature of that phase of water? Which of the three ways would result in that (phase of) water reaching the highest temperature?

AM

When the temperature is greater than 100 deg C the water boils and turns into vapor. To get the highest temperature in that phase the pan would need to be covered with a heavy lid. This will give the shortest cooking time.

Is this correct or am I on the right path? thanks.

ashkash said:
When the temperature is greater than 100 deg C the water boils and turns into vapor. To get the highest temperature in that phase the pan would need to be covered with a heavy lid. This will give the shortest cooking time.

Sort of on the right track. You haven't explained why the heavy lid will give you the shortest cooking time.

Think of the quantity of heat contained in the steam. You want to maximize the amount of heat contained in the steam. How is that be done (think of the steam as an ideal gas and set up an equation for heat in terms of temperature pressure, volume and quantity of steam)?

AM

ashkash said:

How does a pressure cooker work?

Andrew Mason said:
You want to maximize the amount of heat contained in the steam.
But the meat is submerged in the water, isn't it?

thats a very politically correct problem you have there...

Gokul43201 said:
But the meat is submerged in the water, isn't it?
Not necessarily. But it doesn't really matter. Assuming the water and steam are in thermal equilibrium, the water will be at the same temperature as the steam.

AM

1. What is thermodynamics cooking?

Thermodynamics cooking is a scientific approach to cooking that involves understanding the physical and chemical processes that occur during cooking, and using this knowledge to achieve the desired results.

2. How does thermodynamics cooking differ from traditional cooking methods?

Thermodynamics cooking takes into account the principles of heat transfer, energy conservation, and chemical reactions, while traditional cooking methods rely more on trial and error and following recipes.

3. Can anyone use thermodynamics cooking?

Yes, anyone can use thermodynamics cooking, although it may require some basic understanding of science and cooking techniques.

4. What are the benefits of using thermodynamics cooking?

Using thermodynamics cooking can lead to more consistent and precise cooking results, as well as reducing cooking time and energy consumption.

5. Are there any specific tools or equipment needed for thermodynamics cooking?

While there are some specialized equipment that can aid in thermodynamics cooking, such as sous vide machines and precision thermometers, most basic kitchen tools and appliances can be used for this method of cooking.