1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - how much heat needed to raise temperature of a lake

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1
    I am working on my thermodynamics problems and I ran into a few problems on a couple of the questions:

1.) Lake Erie contains roughly 4.00*10^11 m^3 of water. (a) How much heat is required to raise the temperature of that volume of water from 11 degrees C to 12 degrees C? (b) Approxiamtely how many years would it take to supply this amount of heat by using the full output of a 1000-MW electric power plant?

*I got part A of the problem to be 1.67*10^18 J. I got really confused on part B; however, because I couldn't figure out how to relate this problem to time...

2.) Steam at 100 degress C is added to ice at 0 degrees C. Find the amount of ice melted and the final temperature when the mass of steam is 10 g and the mass of ice is 50 g.

*My equation was: (mass of steam)(Latent heat of vaporization)+(mass of steam)(specific heat of water)(T final-T initial)=(mass of ice)(Latent heat of vaporization)+(mass of ice)(specific heat of water)(T final-T initial)

I don't think this is right, though...

3.) One mole of water vapor at a temperature of 373 K cools down to 283 K. The heat given off by the cooling liquid is absorbed by 10 mol of an ideal gas, causing it to expand at a constant temperature of 273 K. If the final colume of the ideal gas is 20 L, determine the initial volume of the ideal gas.

*I used Q=mc(T final-T initial)
    Found Q to = -180.9
    and change in U=0 which means that the change in W= change in Q

Even though I found Q, I don't know how to find the change in Q, but someplace in this problem I think you need to use W=nRT(V final/V initial)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2006 #2
    1 b. Power = Energy / time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?