Thermodynamics- Isothermal Expansion

In summary, the work done by the gas in expanding isothermally to 2 times its initial volume is equal to nRT multiplied by the natural logarithm of 2. This can be found by plugging in the given values into the formula W= nRT ln(Vf/Vi).
Muntaballs

Homework Statement

The temperature of 2 moles of an ideal gas is 366 K. How much work does the gas do in expanding isothermally to 2 times its initial volume?

______ J

Homework Equations

I think they are relevant...
W= nRT ln(Vf/Vi)

PV=nRT

Q constant pressure= 3/2 nRT(Tf-Ti) + nR(Tf-Ti)

Q constant volume = 3/2 nR(Tf-Ti) = 0

constant pressure: Cp= 3/2R=R=5/2R

constant volume: Cv=3/2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I looked at the problem, and I saw it was isothermal, so according to my textbook I used the formula for it: After plugging in the given values I only got so far...

W=(1.5mol) (8.31 J/mol) (366K) ln (Vf/Vi)

I am pretty much clueless on physics in general, so I my goal isn't to fill in the answer box, but to learn the conceptual ideas behind the process. Like why do you do this or that... Usually responds with just numbers puts me no further in my homework :/

Oh and more on the problem: I remembering my textbook mentioning calculating heat using 2 different formulas based on whether its constant pressure or volume, and then after you get that, you use some different formulas for finding "molar specific heat capacities" to finish solving the problem by pluggin everything in the formula. I don't know if this applies to this current problem or not, but I think its a multi step problem and I don't know what my next move should be because I guess I don't have the basic intuition of thermo.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Muntaballs! :smile: Do you know what the general expression for work done by a system is? I am trying to assess whether you are taking calculus based physics or not, as the approach will differ.

Does the expression [itex]W = \int p\,dV[/itex] look familiar to you (where p= pressure and V = volume)?

Um, your post seems kind of weird. I don't know what the d stands for. And the symbol before the p...

But if you are referring to Work=Pressure*Volume, that's what I know of it.

Im not taking calculus based physics, I think our class is trying to avoid any calculus at all. I personally haven't taken AP calc yet anyways.

Muntaballs said:
Um, your post seems kind of weird. I don't know what the d stands for. And the symbol before the p...

But if you are referring to Work=Pressure*Volume, that's what I know of it.

Im not taking calculus based physics, I think our class is trying to avoid any calculus at all. I personally haven't taken AP calc yet anyways.

Ok then :smile: If you were taking the calculus version, I was going to help you derive the formula for work that you gave (this would help with the "why we use this formula instead of that one" part of your question). Since you are not, you will just have to accept at face value that the formula for work will be different depending on the scenario and that in this particular case (i.e., an ideal gas undergoing an isothermal expansion) the formula is given by your first equation. Though I think you have a typo

This:
W= nRT ln(Vf-Vi)

should be this: W= nRT ln(Vf/Vi) I believe, please check your text or notes.

It is basically plug and chug from here.

Oh Yes, you're right, i made a mistake in that formula. Ill edit it out.

W= nRT ln(Vf/Vi) is correct, sorry.

but from all the information given from the problem, I plugged in everything, but I don't know how you would get the specific volumes.. There aren't any actual values for volume, except for just stating that it expands by a factor of 2...

so what do i physically type in for the "Vf/Vi" part? 2/1?

Muntaballs said:
Oh Yes, you're right, i made a mistake in that formula. Ill edit it out.

W= nRT ln(Vf/Vi) is correct, sorry.

but from all the information given from the problem, I plugged in everything, but I don't know how you would get the specific volumes.. There aren't any actual values for volume, except for just stating that it expands by a factor of 2...

so what do i physically type in for the "Vf/Vi" part? 2/1?

Yes! Whenever you think there is not enough information given, just plug in what you know; chances are that the unknowns will cancel. You know that V2= 2*V1, so

[tex]W = nRT\ln\left (\frac{V_2}{V_1}\right ) = nRT\ln\left (\frac{2*V_1}{V_1}\right )=nRT\ln(2)[/tex]

and nRT is known.

What is isothermal expansion?

Isothermal expansion is a type of thermodynamic process in which a gas expands under constant temperature. This means that the energy of the system remains constant and all the heat added to the system is used to do work.

What is the equation for isothermal expansion?

The equation for isothermal expansion is given by PV = constant, where P is pressure, V is volume, and the constant value is determined by the initial conditions of the system.

What is the difference between isothermal expansion and adiabatic expansion?

The main difference between isothermal and adiabatic expansion is that isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature, while adiabatic expansion occurs without the exchange of heat with the surroundings. This means that the temperature of the system may change during adiabatic expansion.

What are some real-life examples of isothermal expansion?

A common real-life example of isothermal expansion is the expansion of a gas in a piston-cylinder system. Another example is the expansion of air in a bicycle pump, where the temperature is kept constant by the pump.

How does isothermal expansion relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred or converted from one form to another. Isothermal expansion is an example of this conservation of energy, as the energy in the system remains constant and is used to do work.