Thermodynamics - partial differential

In summary, the conversation discusses applying the product rule and explicitly using it to differentiate a product. It also addresses the use of infinitesimal values and the importance of accounting for variables that may depend on each other. The conclusion is that it is safer to use the product rule and cancel appropriate terms rather than assuming variables are constant.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

Edit: Some more details.

The question concerns Joule-Thompson Expansion and I need to derive the relationship:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}\right)_T =V+T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_T[/tex]V is not constant as it is expansion but the enthalpy is specied as H(P,T) for the problem. Therefore I would assume that Volume is a function of P and T and not independent. However, I'm not 100% sure on this.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]dH=TdS+VdP[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}\right)_T = T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_T + V\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial P}\right)_T = V+T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_T[/tex]

Is this right? I know it would not be if I'm right and V is a function of P and T. Could someone please clear this up for me.Thanks

BM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got it, as long as you've implicitly used the chain rule and ignored the differentials as compared to non-infinitesimal values. That is,

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial P}\right)_T\left(V\,dP\right)=\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_T dP+V\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial P}\right)_T=V.[/tex]

The differentials can be ignored in any mix of differential and non-infinitesimal values. Does this make sense?

I think I get it. As V is not constant and probably depends on P we can't ignore it in the differential and need to apply the product rule.

But doesn't the differential of V only equal 0 if V is constant or independent of P. In which case, why would we need to explicitly use the product rule?

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but we must use the product rule every time we differentiate a product. It's safest to assume every variable depends on every other variable unless it's been specifically shown not to. In this case, [itex](\partial V/\partial P)_T\,dP[/itex] goes away not because [itex]V[/itex] has any certain value, but because [itex]dP[/itex] is an infinitesimal value that vanishes when compared with the finite value [itex]V[/itex].

In summary, it's safer to use the product rule and cancel the appropriate terms than to work "fast and loose."

So because dp is so small (approximately zero) compared to the differential [itex]
(\partial V/\partial P)_T
[/itex] we can ignore it provided the differential is of something non-infintesimal?

Exactly. We can't automatically do the same thing for an equation like [itex]dH=T\,dS+V\,dP[/itex] because everything is infinitesimal.

Yeah, that occurred to me and gave me a bit of a pause. But though differentials are made of infintesimal elements they are not themselves infintesimal so would be reduced to nothing if multiplied by dP.

However, if this was worked out in a problem the product rule would have to be expressed explicitly otherwise one would think that you were treating V as constant.

1. What is the definition of a partial differential in thermodynamics?

A partial differential in thermodynamics refers to the change in a thermodynamic property of a system with respect to a specific variable, while holding all other variables constant. It is used to study the relationship between different thermodynamic properties and how they change in response to changes in a particular variable.

2. How is a partial differential different from a total differential?

A partial differential only considers the change in a single variable, while a total differential takes into account the changes in all variables. In other words, a partial differential is a specific case of a total differential, where only one variable is being changed.

3. What is the significance of partial differentials in thermodynamics?

Partial differentials are essential in understanding the behavior of thermodynamic systems and predicting how they will respond to changes in variables. They allow scientists to quantify the relationship between different thermodynamic properties and how they change in response to changes in specific variables.

4. How are partial differentials used in thermodynamic equations?

Partial differentials are used to represent the rate of change of a thermodynamic property with respect to a specific variable in an equation. They are often denoted by the symbol ∂ and are used in various thermodynamic equations, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

5. Can partial differentials be negative?

Yes, partial differentials can be negative. This indicates that the thermodynamic property is decreasing with respect to the variable being changed. For example, a negative partial differential of entropy would indicate a decrease in entropy with respect to a change in temperature.