Adiabatic Temperature Change in Rising Air

In summary, the hydrostatic equation expresses the change in pressure dp due to a layer of atmosphere of thickness dz as constant volume. Using this expression, it can be shown that the change in temperature with height for a parcel of air that rises adiabatically in the atmosphere can be expressed as ##-\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma} \frac{mg}{K_B}##. By substituting the relationship between pressure and temperature for an adiabatic reversible expansion, the equation ##pT^{\frac{\gamma}{(1-\gamma)}}=C## can be derived.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

The hydrostatic equation expresses the change in pressure dp due to a layer of

atmosphere of thickness dz as

constant volume.

##dp = −\rho g dz ##
Using this expression, show that the change in temperature with height for a parcel of air that rises adiabatically in the atmosphere can be expressed as
##-\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma} \frac{mg}{K_B}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think we're trying to find ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}_S ## as this seems like a reversible process

starting off with ##dU=TdS-pdV##
## \frac{\partial U}{\partial T}_z dT +\frac{\partial U}{\partial z}_T dz = TdS-pdV##
## \frac{3NK_B}{2}\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}_S +\frac{\partial U}{\partial z}_T =-p\frac{\partial V}{\partial z}_S##

The fact that i can't find ## \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}_S## makes me think I've gone wrong somewhere

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relation between T and p for an adiabatic reversible expansion? From the ideal gas law, what is the density expressed as a function of the temperature, pressure, and molecular weight?

Chestermiller said:
What is the relation between T and p for an adiabatic reversible expansion? From the ideal gas law, what is the density expressed as a function of the temperature, pressure, and molecular weight?

##TV^{\gamma -1} =constant## and ##\rho=\frac{m}{V} ## ?

Physgeek64 said:
##TV^{\gamma -1} =constant## and ##\rho=\frac{m}{V} ## ?
I asked for T vs P, not V., $$\rho=\frac{Pm}{RT}$$

Chestermiller said:
I asked for T vs P, not V., $$\rho=\frac{Pm}{RT}$$
would there not be a factor of n in there?

Physgeek64 said:
would there not be a factor of n in there?
In the equation I wrote, The m is the molecular weight and R is the ideal gas constant. $$\rho=\frac{nm}{V}$$

Chestermiller said:
In the equation I wrote, The m is the molecular weight and R is the ideal gas constant. $$\rho=\frac{nm}{V}$$
Oh of course. But i don't see how to use these. Was i on the right track?

Physgeek64 said:
Oh of course. But i don't see how to use these. Was i on the right track?
No. Actually, you weren't on the right track. You can start by substituting ##\rho=\frac{pM}{RT}## into the equation $$dp=-\rho g dz$$. Then you substitute the relationship between p and T (in terms of ##\gamma##) for an adiabatic reversible expansion.

Chestermiller said:
No. Actually, you weren't on the right track. You can start by substituting ##\rho=\frac{pM}{RT}## into the equation $$dp=-\rho g dz$$. Then you substitute the relationship between p and T (in terms of ##\gamma##) for an adiabatic reversible expansion.

so I get ##dp=-\frac{pmg}{K_BT}dz= -\frac{Nmg}{V}dz##

I can't see where to go from here

$$pT^{\frac{\gamma}{(1-\gamma)}}=C$$

Chestermiller said:
$$pT^{\frac{\gamma}{(1-\gamma)}}=C$$
Thank you, I have done it now :)

What is adiabatic rising of air?

Adiabatic rising of air refers to the process by which air rises due to changes in temperature and pressure, without any exchange of heat with its surroundings.

What causes air to rise adiabatically?

Air rises adiabatically due to changes in atmospheric pressure. As air rises, it experiences a decrease in pressure and expands. This expansion causes the air temperature to decrease, leading to adiabatic cooling.

What are the effects of adiabatic rising of air?

The effects of adiabatic rising of air include changes in temperature and humidity. As air rises, it cools and its relative humidity increases. This can lead to the formation of clouds and precipitation.

What is the difference between dry adiabatic lapse rate and moist adiabatic lapse rate?

The dry adiabatic lapse rate (DALR) refers to the rate at which unsaturated air cools as it rises, which is approximately 10 degrees Celsius per 1000 meters. The moist adiabatic lapse rate (MALR) refers to the rate at which saturated air cools as it rises, which is approximately 6 degrees Celsius per 1000 meters. The MALR is lower than the DALR due to the release of latent heat during the condensation of water vapor in saturated air.

What factors can affect the adiabatic rising of air?

The adiabatic rising of air can be affected by several factors, including the initial temperature and humidity of the air, the rate of ascent, and the presence of atmospheric stability or instability. These factors can determine the extent of cooling and condensation, and ultimately affect weather patterns and cloud development.