1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics & PV work relationships

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    Hi all, studying for a physical chemistry exam tomorrow morning and I'm getting really confused. I am hoping somebody has an easy to understand explanation of How alot of this stuff works.

specifically the relationships between ΔH, ΔU, q & W and constan P,V & T
    i.e. if P is constant how these relate VS If T is constant.

I understand the derivations of Heat transfer for constant P=constant and V= constant; as well as Wrev and wirr

also, I know the ΔU=w+q and dH=dU+d(pv)....is this last one the trick to finding U and H for given process?

I guess i dont really have a question, just pumping so much stuff into my head its all spinning around in circles and hoping someone can provide a couple statements that get me back on track.

Maybe a good place to start is if you could clearly explain when/where/why Δ_=0 for some of the above, i think maybes that where i getting all mixed up.

As always I really appreciate you helpful folks on this forum! Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted