1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Thermodynamics Tables for Reference

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    Does anyone know of a thermodynamics tables for reference to recommend me?... It would be preferable in metric system or in both, british and metric. I searched in the past posts and, I didn't find information about this issue.

I found this tables on Amazon, but I prefer to hear from your advice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3GMN7RXRBXB0G

I lost the one I had, don't know where.

Thank you in advance

Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

JANAF Tables; International Critical Tables.

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can find a lot of this information, particularly steam tables, already on the web. I wouldn't buy a paper book unless you needed to stuff something else in your backpack.
    Standards organizations, like the NIST, publish these tables which can be downloaded.

5. Oct 12, 2015 #4
    Thank you very much for your messages. Despite the fact I am an old school person, so I prefer to read from a book more than from a computer, I found the JANAF Thermochemical Tables really expensive for my budget ($ 400 or higher)... so, I will follow your suggestion, SteamKing, and I will use the NIST tables.

I assume the older editions (more affordable) of this book are out dated.

Thank you again

6. Oct 12, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, steam is steam and R-12 is R-12. The thermo properties of each substance should be the same for engineering purposes, regardless of the age of the work.

When I was in college, the required texts for my marine engineering courses included the 1967 edition of the ASME Steam Tables (which was a pretty sizable hardcover tome) and the 1944 edition of the Keenan-Keyes steam tables (all in chart form), which was a very slender book. I believe the ASME work included a folded Mollier chart for steam which I used to plot steam turbine state lines.

There is a whole international organization called the IAPWS which develops various formulations to calculate the properties of water which are tabulated in the steam tables. Organizations like NIST and ASME work with the IAPWS to make sure all their data line up with the latest formulations. Since a lot of calculations requiring thermo properties of water are done on computer nowadays, there is a need to use for formulas which can be evaluated, given inputs like pressure and temperature, and have a routine calculate enthalpy and entropy and what not.

7. Oct 13, 2015 #6
    Thank you very much for your valuable information. By the way, I downloaded the JANAF tables from the NIST website, as you indicated.
    Thank you again.
    Daniel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted