Thermodynamics - Work Done in a Closed System (Polytropic?)

In summary, the conversation is about a closed system and a gas being compressed from 3 bar absolute to 5 bar absolute, with a change in volume according to the law P1*V1^n = P2*V2^n. The value of n is calculated using transposition and logs. The task is to find the work done, and it is determined to be -115.4 KJ, indicating that it is being done on the system. The conversation concludes with confirmation that the calculations were correct.
Mingsliced
Just want to check that I've used the correct method for this thermodynamics question I've been set. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

So I have a closed system in which a gas is compressed from a pressure of 3 bar absolute to 5 bar absolute. The volume changes from 0.9m^3 to 0.6m^3 after compression. This is according to the law P1*V1^n = P2*V2^n.

I've calculated the value n using transposition and logs.

I need to find:
b) The work done, stating whether it is done on the system or on the surroundings.

2. The attempt at a solution

b) P1 = 3 bar = 300000 n/m^2
P2 = 5 bar = 500000 n/m^2
V1 = 0.9 m^3
V2 = 0.6 m^3
Index N = 1.26

I believe the formula that you are supposed to use is the polytropic process formula for work done:

Work Done = (P1*V1) - (P2*V2) / N-1

Work Done = (300000*0.9) - (500000*0.6) / 1.26-1

Work Done = 270000 - 300000 / 0.26

Work Done = -115385 Joules
-115.4 KJ

Because the work done is a negative value I believe the work is being done on the system.

Now have I done this correctly or have I slipped up and used the wrong method? Cheers for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work. It is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems, which is crucial for many fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics.

2. What is a closed system in thermodynamics?

A closed system is a system that does not exchange matter with its surroundings. This means that the total amount of matter within the system remains constant, but energy can still be exchanged in the form of heat or work.

3. What is work done in a closed system?

In a closed system, work refers to the transfer of energy from one form to another. This can occur through mechanical work, where a force is applied to move an object, or through other forms of work such as electrical or chemical work.

4. What is polytropic work in thermodynamics?

Polytropic work refers to work done in a system where the pressure and volume are related by a power law, known as a polytropic process. This type of work is commonly seen in processes such as expansion or compression of gases.

5. How is work calculated in a closed system?

The amount of work done in a closed system can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This formula can be modified for different types of work, such as electrical or chemical work, depending on the specific system being studied.