Thevenin with dependent voltage source

In summary: No, Vth doesn't have to be set to 0 when you draw the equivalent circuit. It would just be a convenience.
savageqm

Homework Statement

Find Rthev as seen by terminal (a,b)

http://cid-3c099006138591f8.office.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/IMG^_0337.JPG

Homework Equations

Can somebody point me to the right method to solve this problem. I know how to solve when there is a dependent source, but the dependent voltage source is throwing me off. I tried nodal analysis and supernode but I can't get the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used nodal analysis and supernode. I applied a 1A to the A,b connector.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You usually inject 1A to get RTH. Since I don't see any independent sources, I'd say that the open circuit voltage is 0V.

Last edited:
I am including the 50 ohms.

Ok. Sorry for changing things up so much. I just realized what the question was.

After injection, the one next to your terminal pair will definitely be bypassed. I'd also say that the one coming off of the dependent source will also be bypassed and will give you a voltage divider. I'm not sure what the polarity of vx is, so you'll have to be careful about that.

so I can get rid of the first 50 and the 25 next to the 3vx?

can mesh analysis be applied to this?

Show the equations you derived for nodal analysis so we can see where you went wrong.

I used nodal analysis and got 10 ohms for Rth.

I worked out the node voltages and got 0V. For some reason I was thinking short circuit current. That would knock out that resistor, not a current source, sorry...been a long day/night/day.

[PLAIN]http://www.fission-systems.com/images/physics/supernode.png

I come up with this nodal analysis, which is wrong because I know the answer is 10ohms like somebody just mention.

http://cid-3c099006138591f8.office.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/IMG^_0339.JPG

I guess my problem is setting it correctly. Any ideas where am going wrong?

Which circuit is the correct one, the one in your original post or the one in your latest post? They're not the same.EDIT: Like The Electrician, I found the Thevenin resistance for the original circuit is indeed 10 ohms, so you should start over. It looks like you tried to combine one of the 25-ohm resistors with the 50-ohm resistor, but you can't as they are neither in series nor parallel.

Last edited:
The first post is the original problem, my last post was me trying some source transformation to be able to solved the problem.

I still just trying to solve the original post.

savageqm said:
I come up with this nodal analysis, which is wrong because I know the answer is 10ohms like somebody just mention.

http://cid-3c099006138591f8.office.live.com/self.aspx/Pictures/IMG^_0339.JPG

I guess my problem is setting it correctly. Any ideas where am going wrong?

You can't rearrange your resistors to have 75 ohms in parallel with 25 ohms from the left end of the source to ground. That's not a permissible operation. Try again.

Why not use a 1V or 1A test source?

I always use a 1A test source, but am just out of idea of how to setup the equation. The one I posted is the one I always get back to.

I don't know if I should use Mesh Analysis to calculate the current or Nodal analysis, but then that would mean I would have a supernode which I think am writing wrong.

The only equations you've posted are in the image you linked to in post 8. As both The Electrician and I pointed out, you can't combine the resistors the way you did, so any equations you derive from that circuit won't yield the correct results.

i have a question like this one, so i try to solve this question. i also found Req=10 ohm but Vth=0. Is the Vth 0? I mean when we draw the equivalent circuit, do we set Vth=0 and Req=0?
Thanks

1. What is Thevenin's theorem with a dependent voltage source?

Thevenin's theorem with a dependent voltage source is a circuit analysis technique that simplifies a complex circuit with a dependent voltage source into an equivalent circuit with a single independent voltage source and a single equivalent resistance. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's behavior.

2. How is the Thevenin equivalent voltage calculated with a dependent voltage source?

The Thevenin equivalent voltage is calculated by first finding the open-circuit voltage (Voc) of the original circuit. Then, the dependent voltage source is set to zero and the circuit is analyzed to find the voltage across the load resistor (Vth). The equivalent voltage is equal to the difference between Voc and Vth.

3. What is the purpose of Thevenin's theorem with a dependent voltage source?

The main purpose of Thevenin's theorem with a dependent voltage source is to simplify a complex circuit into an equivalent circuit that is easier to analyze and calculate. This can save time and effort in circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to circuits with multiple dependent voltage sources?

Yes, Thevenin's theorem can be applied to circuits with multiple dependent voltage sources. The process involves setting one dependent voltage source to zero at a time and calculating the Thevenin equivalent voltage for each case. The final equivalent voltage is then the sum of all the calculated equivalent voltages.

5. What are the limitations of Thevenin's theorem with a dependent voltage source?

Thevenin's theorem with a dependent voltage source has a few limitations. It can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning that the voltage-current relationship must be linear. Also, it only works for circuits with one port (two terminals). Additionally, the theorem is only accurate for DC circuits and may not be applicable to circuits with changing or time-varying sources.