I finding the Thevenin equivalent resistance

In summary, Homework statement describes an individual's attempt to solve a homework equation. The individual is confused as to what resistors are in parallel and how to redraw the diagram once they simplified the equation. The individual shows pictures of their work which is blurry. The individual suggests two approaches to solving the equation: first, look at the circuit from the open ends side and not from the normal image; second, try to look the circuit from the open ends side and not from the normal image and think about current path in mind. The individual concludes that the R3 and R4 are in parallel and Ohm's law can be used with the terms VOC and ISC to reveal the resistance that the output node sees.
SpiralStars

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/a/XD3Km4t
upload_2018-5-23_22-52-42.png

I'm trying to find the thevenin equivalent resistance across the opened terminals.

Homework Equations

I know you short circuit the voltage source and do simple circuit analysis, however I'm getting confused in determining what resistors are parallel to each other and how to redraw the diagram once I simplified. How do I do this ?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt got me 426.0.26 ohmz.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-23_22-52-42.png
    upload_2018-5-23_22-52-42.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 802
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SpiralStars said:
My attempt got me 426.0.26 ohmz.
Please show us your work. It is much easier to check your answer if you show your work.

berkeman said:
Please show us your work. It is much easier to check your answer if you show your work.
https://imgur.com/a/9MyvuGK
https://imgur.com/a/AjLxpwt
this is what i did I'm not sure how to simply the circuit and redraw it.

Hint: If there are no obvious resistances in parallel or in series that would allow you to reduce the circuit by simple methods then you should consider placing a voltage source at the "output" and solving for the current it would drive into the circuit; The problem then becomes one of general circuit analysis involving whatever methods you've learned. Once you know that current, then Ohm's law will tell you the resistance that the source sees.

Likes berkeman
The pictures are blurry but there's a approach that I always use.Lets suppose you started from one of the open terminals, let's say upper one. Also I didnt understand why you included ##100Ω## resistor.

In any case try to follow a current path in your mind. If the path divides two and you can't reach the B in 1 path then they must be parallel.

Second approach is that try to look the circuit from the open ends side but not from the normal image. I mean move the image 90 degrees right and try to look it that way. Also I think this is a homework question

You seem to think that R3 and R4 are in parallel, yes? If so, you might want to go back to the basic definitions of what is series and what is parallel.

I personally like solving for VOC and ISC when simplifying the circuit is not super obvious; you can use Ohm's law with those terms to reveal the RTH.

VOC = Output voltage with output as open circuit
ISC = Current going along the output node when it is short circuited to its reference ground.

1. What is Thevenin's theorem and how does it relate to equivalent resistance?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source and a single resistor in series. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance of that single resistor in the circuit.

2. Why is finding the Thevenin equivalent resistance useful?

Finding the Thevenin equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the behavior of a circuit without having to analyze every individual component.

3. How do I find the Thevenin equivalent resistance of a circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent resistance, you need to first remove all voltage sources from the circuit and calculate the resistance between the two terminals. This is the Thevenin resistance. Then, you need to find the open-circuit voltage by connecting a voltmeter between the two terminals. The Thevenin equivalent resistance is equal to the Thevenin resistance in series with the open-circuit voltage.

4. Can the Thevenin equivalent resistance be negative?

No, the Thevenin equivalent resistance cannot be negative. It represents the total resistance in a circuit, and resistance is always a positive value.

5. What are some applications of Thevenin's theorem and equivalent resistance in real-world circuits?

Thevenin's theorem and equivalent resistance are used in many practical applications, such as designing power supplies, analyzing electronic circuits, and troubleshooting faulty circuits. They are also used in telecommunications, where understanding the behavior of a circuit is crucial for signal transmission and reception.