Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin's Theorem: AC Circuits with Different Frequencies

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    My textbook has this excerpt:

Ob0DIuP.png

I am not sure why it refers to Example 10.6 as that is unrelated. I don't understand to be honest. How can you calculate the Thevenin equivalent at different frequencies? Let us say that you have two voltage source: v1(t)=10cos(5t) and v2(t)=10cos(2t). So how do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent at the first frequency of 5 Hz? Do you change v2's frequency to 5 Hz?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

psparky

Gold Member

I think they mean when you use superposition, you use the voltage source you're intersted in and short the other one.

You will then have two different circuits, each with it's own voltage source and frequency.

Then when you go to find your open circuit voltage....you will end up with two different open circuit voltages with two different frequencies from two different sources. You cannot add different frequencies together.

One open circuit voltage will contain (5t) and the other open circuit voltage wil contain (2t).
    You would never interchange these like you suggested and also the 5 in 5t is not hertz....it's 5 radians per second.....

Just my first guess....or 2nd or third...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook