Thin, light, cheap and strong as wood material?

In summary: This can cause fatigue and failure over time. The material must be able to resist vibrations and still be pliable enough to be wrapped around the shaft. Epoxy is a very strong and durable material that is also flexible. It is perfect for this application because it can resist vibrations and still be pliable.
downhilller
Hi,
I am currently constructing a science fair project, and I was wondering if anybody knew any thin material that was relatively light weight, cheap, and as strong as wood. I understand that carbon fiber exists, but this material is rather expensive. If anyone knows alternatives to using wood or carbon fiber, please inform me.
Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Why can't you use wood? Fibre glass might work depending upon the application.

Aluminum. You can buy it in thin sheets at your local hardware store, or even at some hobby stores.

You should share with us the intended application. The material chosen will depend on this. For example, sheet aluminum is light and string but will bend.

Its intended application is for a shaft, approxamately 1.5" wide, but I only need less than .5" of the material. It is intended to be wraped around the shaft. Sorry I cannot give away more, because I still want to keep my science fair idea rather confidential.
Thanks.

So you're not talking about the shaft itself, but merely a material to bind it?
If it's the shaft, bamboo is straight, cheap, and even stronger than carbon fibre. I don't know whether or not that counts as wood, though. For wrapping, you can get fibreglass packing tape at any hardware store. The lifespan is limited, since it crystalizes after a few years.
If you're a Red Green fan, never forget the "handyman's secret weapon"... :uhh:

downhilller said:
Its intended application is for a shaft, approxamately 1.5" wide, but I only need less than .5" of the material. It is intended to be wraped around the shaft.
What?? These statements seem almost contradictory.

The shaft is 1.5" in diameter, OK.

Do you already have the shaft? And you are looking for a material to wrap around the shaft? That needs to be some pretty flexible material! How would you do that with wood?? .5" of wood would never wrap around a shaft.

Or are you maknig the shaft out of this material? And the wall of the shaft need be only .5" thick? I?f so, what is it that is getting wrapped around the shaft?

Alright, I see how those statements can appear contradictory, so I will explain it clearer. Let's say there is a shaft, 1" wide, and I want to wrap .5" of some material around it to reinforce it and make it stronger. Wood would not work for this project because even if I used flexible wood, it would not be able to mold itself to the shaft. So, I am looking for a material that is as strong as wood, but flexible enough to be able to be wrapped around a shaft. That is why I am currently looking at fiber glass, but I am open to more suggestions.
Hopefully this cleared it up.
Thanks!

Epoxy?

What properties does the end-product need to have? How precise? At high rotational speeds, any freeform material such as fibreglass will generate vibrations.

1. What is the material made of?

The material is typically made from a combination of cellulose fibers and a polymer matrix, such as plastic or resin.

2. How is it able to be both thin and strong?

The material's strength comes from the arrangement of the cellulose fibers, which are tightly packed together. This structure allows the material to distribute forces evenly, making it strong despite its thinness.

3. Is it environmentally friendly?

It depends on the specific materials used to create the composite. Some versions may use natural, biodegradable materials while others may use synthetic materials that are not as eco-friendly.

4. How does it compare to other materials like metal or plastic?

In terms of strength and weight, this material can be comparable to certain types of metal and plastic. However, it may have different properties and benefits such as being more sustainable or biodegradable.

5. What are the potential applications for this material?

There are many potential applications for this material, including lightweight construction materials, packaging materials, and even medical devices. It could also be used in place of wood for furniture or other household items.