Thin Rod Gravitational Potential and Field Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the gravitational potential and field vector for a thin rod of constant density lying on the x-axis. The equations for total mass due to mass density and potential due to mass density over a curve are mentioned, but the attempt at a solution is confused and does not answer the questions posed. The expert suggests considering a segment of the rod and finding its mass and the force exerted at a specific point, before determining the appropriate integration method. They also clarify that the problem is one-dimensional and may not require spherical or polar coordinates.
erb12c

Homework Statement

I am having a hard time understanding where to begin with this problem. Here it is:

Consider a thin rod of length L and constant density n that lies on the x-axis with endpoints at x=0 and x=L.
(i) Find a formula for the gravitational potential Φ = Φ(x) at the (variable) point P located on the positive x-axis at coordinate x>L.
(ii) Find the gravitational field vector E=E(x) = -E(x)i at the point P and show that the gravitational intensity is E(x)=m/x(x-L), where m is the mass of the rod.

Homework Equations

Total mass due to mass density μ over Volume V m=∫μ dv

Potential Due to Mass Density η over Curve C Φ=∫η/r dl

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to start a solution because first I am confused as to which equation I would use and then second I get confused as to how I find the variables. I have done this problem with a circular disk instead of a thin rod and it was easier because I could find r but now I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
erb12c said:

Homework Statement

I am having a hard time understanding where to begin with this problem. Here it is:

Consider a thin rod of length L and constant density n that lies on the x-axis with endpoints at x=0 and x=L.
(i) Find a formula for the gravitational potential Φ = Φ(x) at the (variable) point P located on the positive x-axis at coordinate x>L.
(ii) Find the gravitational field vector E=E(x) = -E(x)i at the point P and show that the gravitational intensity is E(x)=m/x(x-L), where m is the mass of the rod.

Homework Equations

Total mass due to mass density μ over Volume V m=∫μ dv

Potential Due to Mass Density η over Curve C Φ=∫η/r dl

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to start a solution because first I am confused as to which equation I would use and then second I get confused as to how I find the variables. I have done this problem with a circular disk instead of a thin rod and it was easier because I could find r but now I am lost.

Consider a segment of the rod of length ##ds## located at ##(s,0)## on the rod, where ##s## is between ##0## and ##L##. What is its mass? What force is exerted at the point ##(x,0)## by that segment? Then add up (integrate) that over the length of the rod and see what you get.

deleted because of formatting

LCKurtz said:
Consider a segment of the rod of length ##ds## located at ##(s,0)## on the rod, where ##s## is between ##0## and ##L##. What is its mass? What force is exerted at the point ##(x,0)## by that segment? Then add up (integrate) that over the length of the rod and see what you get.

Okay so if I am looking at s the mass would be ∫(ρ)∫(θ) η/√(x^2+s^2) dΘdρ ?
And then just split it up and integrate? Also would the bounds be (0,L) for ρ and (0, 2π) for Θ?

Am I on the right track?

LCKurtz said:

erb12c said:
Okay so if I am looking at s the mass would be ∫(ρ)∫(θ) η/√(x^2+s^2) dΘdρ ?
And then just split it up and integrate? Also would the bounds be (0,L) for ρ and (0, 2π) for Θ?

Am I on the right track?

No. You have introduced a new variable (what is ##\theta##?) and you didn't answer either of my questions. Try again:
1. What is the mass of that ##ds## segment?
2. What force is exerted at the point ##(x,0)## by it?
Then we can talk about the integral.

LCKurtz said:

LCKurtz said:
No. You have introduced a new variable (what is ##\theta##?) and you didn't answer either of my questions. Try again:
The reason why I added θ because I thought I had to put it into spherical coordinates. I am honestly so confused I do not know where to go with this.

LCKurtz said:

The question said to find the force at a point on the x-axis. So, you have a simple 1-dimensional problem.

If you had been asked for the gravitational force (or potential) at a general point (x,y,z), then it might be the case that spherical or polar coordinates would be helpful---it might also not be the case. First set up the required integration, then decide what type of coordinates would make the problem easiest.

What is a thin rod gravitational potential?

A thin rod gravitational potential refers to the gravitational potential energy of a thin, straight rod with a uniform mass distribution. This potential is calculated using the formula V = -Gm/2L ln(r), where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the rod, L is the length of the rod, and r is the distance from the rod's center.

How is the gravitational field vector of a thin rod calculated?

The gravitational field vector of a thin rod can be calculated using the formula g = -(Gm)/L [1/(sqrt((r^2 + L^2)) - 1/(sqrt(r^2 + L^2) + L)], where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the rod, L is the length of the rod, and r is the distance from the rod's center.

What is the difference between gravitational potential and gravitational field?

Gravitational potential refers to the potential energy of an object due to its position in a gravitational field, while gravitational field refers to the force exerted on an object by a gravitational source. Gravitational potential is a scalar quantity, while gravitational field is a vector quantity.

How does the thin rod gravitational potential and field vector differ from other gravitational potential and field calculations?

The thin rod potential and field vector calculations differ from other gravitational potential and field calculations in that they take into account the specific shape and distribution of mass of a thin rod. Other calculations may involve point masses, spherically symmetric objects, or other shapes, which would require different formulas.

What are the practical applications of understanding thin rod gravitational potential and field vector?

Understanding thin rod gravitational potential and field vector is important in various fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate the effects of gravity on objects near a thin rod, such as satellites orbiting a planet or spacecraft passing by a long, thin space station. It can also be used in the design of structures, such as bridges or towers, to ensure their stability under the influence of gravity.