1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Rod Gravitational Potential and Field Vector

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having a hard time understanding where to begin with this problem. Here it is:

Consider a thin rod of length L and constant density n that lies on the x-axis with endpoints at x=0 and x=L.
    (i) Find a formula for the gravitational potential Φ = Φ(x) at the (variable) point P located on the positive x-axis at coordinate x>L.
    (ii) Find the gravitational field vector E=E(x) = -E(x)i at the point P and show that the gravitational intensity is E(x)=m/x(x-L), where m is the mass of the rod.

2. Relevant equations

Total mass due to mass density μ over Volume V m=∫μ dv

Potential Due to Mass Density η over Curve C Φ=∫η/r dl

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not know how to start a solution because first I am confused as to which equation I would use and then second I get confused as to how I find the variables. I have done this problem with a circular disk instead of a thin rod and it was easier because I could find r but now I am lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider a segment of the rod of length ##ds## located at ##(s,0)## on the rod, where ##s## is between ##0## and ##L##. What is its mass? What force is exerted at the point ##(x,0)## by that segment? Then add up (integrate) that over the length of the rod and see what you get.

4. Jun 19, 2015 #3
    deleted because of formatting

5. Jun 19, 2015 #4
    Okay so if I am looking at s the mass would be ∫(ρ)∫(θ) η/√(x^2+s^2) dΘdρ ?
    And then just split it up and integrate? Also would the bounds be (0,L) for ρ and (0, 2π) for Θ?

Am I on the right track?

6. Jun 19, 2015 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You have introduced a new variable (what is ##\theta##?) and you didn't answer either of my questions. Try again:
    1. What is the mass of that ##ds## segment?
    2. What force is exerted at the point ##(x,0)## by it?
    Then we can talk about the integral.

7. Jun 22, 2015 #6
    The reason why I added θ because I thought I had to put it into spherical coordinates. I am honestly so confused I do not know where to go with this.

8. Jun 22, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question said to find the force at a point on the x-axis. So, you have a simple 1-dimensional problem.

If you had been asked for the gravitational force (or potential) at a general point (x,y,z), then it might be the case that spherical or polar coordinates would be helpful---it might also not be the case. First set up the required integration, then decide what type of coordinates would make the problem easiest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted