Vector curl problem and potential

In summary, the vector field F = (2xyz + 1, x^2 z, x^2 y) is irrotational and the potential φ associated with it is φ = x^2yz + x + C(y,z) where C(y,z) is a constant function of both y and z. When finding the directional derivative in the positive x direction, the dot product of (1,0) with the vector (x,y) should be used.
navm1

Homework Statement

Prove that the vector field F = (2xyz + 1, x^2 z, x^2 y) is irrotational. Find the potential φ associated with F (i.e. find the function φ for which ∇φ = F).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure for the first part I just calculate the curl, but for the second part, does this mean potential energy? perhaps it is irrelevant to me working out this question but if potential energy is mgx then taking the derivative with respect to x would leave us with a force mg. I am not sure how I would approach the second part. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I to just integrate each component by its respective variable? I am not sure how to calculate ∇φ for a vector function

edit: just by looking at the components I got x^2yz+x because the rest have x^2 still and there would only be a +1 if there had been a x there. not sure if there was a mathematical way to calculate this too

Last edited:
navm1 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the vector field F = (2xyz + 1, x^2 z, x^2 y) is irrotational. Find the potential φ associated with F (i.e. find the function φ for which ∇φ = F).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure for the first part I just calculate the curl, but for the second part, does this mean potential energy? perhaps it is irrelevant to me working out this question but if potential energy is mgx then taking the derivative with respect to x would leave us with a force mg. I am not sure how I would approach the second part. Thanks
No. Not mgx.

mgx is a potential function for gravitational force near Earth's surface, provided that x is vertical distance.
navm1 said:
Am I to just integrate each component by its respective variable? I'm not sure how to calculate ∇φ for a vector function

edit: just by looking at the components I got x^2yz+x because the rest have x^2 still and there would only be a +1 if there had been a x there. not sure if there was a mathematical way to calculate this too
Yes. Generally you integrate, but you need to be careful and/or clever regarding constants of integration.

This you can get pretty well by inspection.

Look at integration. Consider Fx first.
##\displaystyle\ \frac{\partial }{\partial x}\varphi(x,y,z)=F_x(x,y,z) \ ##

So that ##\displaystyle\ \varphi(x,y,z)=\int F_x(x,y,z)\,dx \ ## , treating y and z as constants.

Thus for this potential we get, ##\displaystyle\ \varphi(x,y,z)=\int (2xyz + 1)\,dx \ = x^2yz + x +C(y,z)##.

Notice that the constant of integration can be a function of y and z. However, if you compare the partial derivatives (w.r.t y and z) of this potential with Fy and Fz respectively, C(y,z) must be constant w.r.t. both y and z, since its partials w.r.t. each is zero.

In contrast to this, let us suppose that you chose to find the potential function by integrating w.r.t. y first. (or z if you wanted to: The choice is yours.)

##\displaystyle\ \varphi(x,y,z)=\int (x^2z)\,dy \ = x^2zy +C(x,z)##

Taking the partial w.r.t. z give Fz just fine so the constant of integration does not depend on z. So write C(x,z) as C(x).

However, ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\partial }{\partial x} (x^2zy +C(x))=2xyz+C'(x)## must be ##\ 2xyz + 1\ ## so ##\ C'(x) = 1\ ## thus ##\ C(x) = x\ + constant\,.##

Plug that back into the potential function.

Thanks. That has definitely helped me build a little more intuition for what I was doing

Also another quick related question, if I'm asked for the directional derivative in the positive x direction and calculated del-phi of a scalar function to be some (xi+yj) do I just plug numbers into the x component?

edit: I worked out that if I think of that as a vector with components (1,0) then it makes sense

Last edited:

1. What is the vector curl problem and potential?

The vector curl problem and potential is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to describe the rotation or spin of a vector field. It is represented by the curl operator (∇ x) and is used to analyze the behavior of electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics.

2. How is the vector curl problem and potential related to the divergence theorem?

The vector curl problem and potential is related to the divergence theorem through the fundamental theorem of calculus. The divergence theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume. This relationship is important in solving problems involving vector fields and their behavior.

3. What is the physical significance of the vector curl problem and potential?

The vector curl problem and potential has many physical applications, particularly in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. It helps in understanding the flow of electric and magnetic fields and predicting the behavior of fluids in motion. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems related to these fields.

4. How do you calculate the vector curl problem and potential?

To calculate the vector curl problem and potential, you first need to find the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to all three variables (x, y, z). Then, use the cross product of these partial derivatives to obtain the curl vector. The potential is then found by taking the antiderivative of the curl vector with respect to one of the variables.

5. Can the vector curl problem and potential be used in other fields besides electromagnetism and fluid dynamics?

Yes, the concept of vector curl problem and potential can be applied in various fields of science, such as acoustics, heat transfer, and elasticity. It is a fundamental concept in vector calculus and has many applications in different branches of science and engineering.