1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin rod symbolic questions based on Image.

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin rod lies on the x-axis with one end at -A and the other end at A, as shown in the diagram. A charge of -Q is spread uniformly over the surface of the rod. We want to set up an integral to find the electric field at location ‹ 0, y, 0 › due to the rod.

16-050-Erod_setup.jpg

Use the following as necessary: x, y, dx, A, Q. Remember that the rod has charge -Q.

(a) In terms of the symbolic quantities given above and on the diagram, what is the charge per unit length of the rod?
    λ = ?

(b) What is the amount of charge dQ on the small piece of length dx?
    dQ = ?

2. Relevant equations

Electric field of a uniformly charged Rod: 1/4πε0 * 2(Q/L) / r

3. The attempt at a solution
    PartA: -ΔQ: I tried this because since i'm dividing the rods by a based amount, the charge Q, should be written by -ΔQ.
    -ΔQ/L: I input this wrong, because it's suppose to be A, since that's the lenght of the rod. I was thinking of -ΔQ/A, because since i'm dividing the charge by a certain amount, I'm also dividing the length of the rod as well. Haven't tried it yet.

PartB: -dx/A: Well I think similarly like part a, we're dividing the rod again, should be divided by A. Was thinking of Q (dx/A) if i'm trying to find the dQ

Just need help on these parts. From there I'll attempt the rest of the parts on my own.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

tms

The rod goes from x = -A to x = A. How long is it?
    You've got the right idea, just the wrong length.

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    Ok thanks , er dq = λ*dx? :P. I'll figure it out eventually.

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4

tms

In the first part, the charge density is the total charge divided by the total length. The total length is not A.

Yes, [itex]dq = \lambda \:dx[/itex].

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5
    Ok got part A I believe now. It's -Q/2*A.

Thanks for your help. I got the rest of the parts on this problem right as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook