What Bugs You? A Rant About Political Correctness and Other Irritants

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary: I am going to inhale their cancerous fumes while I'm waiting for the bus. In summary, people who smoke at bus stops are inconsiderate and rude.
Blahness
A topic to rant about the stuff that annoys you/angers you. Just rant away! =D

Me? I hate political correctness. IT IS WHAT IT IS, JUST SAY IT. You're POOR, not "Economically Disadvantaged"! It's just what it IS! I'm not "Vertically challenged", IM A FRIGGIN MIDGET. Also, I hate covering up "FAILED" messages in test grades and such. Look at my second thing for that.

I also hate lopsided polls/test grade classes, such as these for my standardized AIMS test:

Excelling
Highly Performing
Performing Plus
Performing
Under Performing

See how it only has one "failing" grade, and 4 passing grades? This relates to #1 as well. QUIT LINGUISTICALLY COVERING WHAT'S GOING ON THERE! It's my nature to be brutally honest. Here's how I'd make test grades:

Outstanding
Exceeding Expectations
Acceptable
Poor
Horrid

That's how I'd grade them. (No, I did NOT steal this from HP. >____>).

Anyway, about the whole political correctness to keep people's self-esteem, JUST SAY IT LIKE IT IS. OLD, POOR, CRIPPLED, STUPID, FAILED! It is what it is, quit covering it up. If they can't handle the truth, then TOO BAD.

Also, I have dumbassophobia. I am afraid of stupid people, ignorant people, and thick-headed people. I don't know why, but I do NOT like being around people who have no sense of what's what. Irrational, or just me?

1 last thing: I. Hate. Counter-intuitive procedures. Government, School, Work, I do NOT want to be doing something that'll have no effect on what will happen later on, or is just pointless and worthless.

Anyway, there's my rants, now post yours. ^_^'

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been hanging around Pengwuino too much lately?

Though, I am laughing at those bizarre score levels..."performing?" What the heck does that mean anyway? Is that like, "congratulations, you got the 200 points on your SAT for spelling your name correctly!?"

If you're going to resort to that system and try to do things that sound like constructive criticism to be positive, then the system I had in elementary school might be better (only until 3rd grade...it was meant to not stigmatize kids too young when they all come from vastly different backgrounds and take varying amounts of time to adjust to formal schooling I suppose). I think it was:
Excellent
Good
Satisfactory
Needs Improvement

I have actually tried this approach when teaching children English (these were predominantly 4th graders seeking outside tutoring because English was not their parents' native language, so they had more difficulties due to lack of reinforcement at home). I gave them essay assignments and the lowest "grade" was "good." It didn't really matter what sort of grades they got because there were no grades, it was just a matter of providing some sort of feedback. They actually did make rapid progress when feedback remained positive. It didn't mean I gave them less feedback, and they still had to rewrite their essays and fix their mistakes, but it did mean they didn't get quickly discouraged hearing once again how bad their English was (of course it was below average or they wouldn't have needed me to help them with it). I was thrilled when one of the students I was teaching (it was a summer class) came back to me during the following school year and proudly shared that she was finally getting A's in her English classes and gave me a big hug to thank me (I think that's about the time I really caught the teaching bug). For some kids, all they ever hear are people telling them how stupid they are or what failures they are or that they'll never amount to anything...often by emotionally abusive parents. For them, the tiniest bit of positive feedback can make a big difference in motivating them to actually try to succeed when they've been told all their life they won't and have given up.

1. Wankers who drive along the M6 at night when the weather is good and there's no traffic, in the middle lane, with their fog lights on. These people are the same ones who sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake so that the driver directly behind gets dazzled. They are also the ones who leave such a small stopping distance that any inconsistencies in the flow of traffic instantly provoke an emergency braking situation, and creates a traffic jam for no bloody good reason whatso-bloody-ever. At all.

2. People who smoke at bus stops. They get right on my tits. Do they not understand the principle of common courtesy? Evidently not. I am a definite supporter of allowing smokers the freedom to smoke, since they're contributing to my pension in taxes, and they'll depart the planet that bit sooner, thus making more fresh air in the bus queue. But it would be really nice if they didn't have to blow their fumes back in my face, thank you very much. Bring on some form of diving-bell inspired smoking helmet which, not only confines smoke fumes to the immediate vicinity of the smoker and nowhere else, but would also allow you to tap on the glass in front of their face and say things like "aww, are you alright in there?", before battering their face in with a spade just to prove your point.

3. Arrogant twats in bars, pubs, clubs and anywhere else without a formal queuing system who don't understand the concept of waiting their bloody turn. They don't give a buggery if anyone else has been waiting 15 minutes longer than them, because they're obviously far more in need of a drink than anyone else could possibly be, probably due to dehydration caused by them being an inconsiderate and selfish sod.

Well, you did ask.

I'm so glad Brew had this chance to vent..I bet that felt good.

Nothing is bugging me much, i am peeved at benefit cheats, our legal system,
our monarchy, the national health and the weather, the only way they can be
fixed to my likeing though is for me to become the grand despot of england, and at the moment i am out of practise, so it will have to wait :smile:

brewnog said:
1. Wankers who drive along the M6 at night when the weather is good and there's no traffic, in the middle lane, with their fog lights on. .
Agreed. For decency's sake, the could have the lights off. :grumpy:

brewnog said:
People who smoke at bus stops. They get right on my tits. Do they not understand the principle of common courtesy? Evidently not. I am a definite supporter of allowing smokers the freedom to smoke, since they're contributing to my pension in taxes, and they'll depart the planet that bit sooner, thus making more fresh air in the bus queue.

Being a dependant user of the bus system myself, I have to agree. What is even worse is when they actually get on the bus. Sure, they aren't smoking then, but the fumes are still present, and it is enough for me to get a rather nasty headache (which doesn't really go away throughout the day) and some bouts of coughing until the bus manages to circulate some decent air to the bus.

people who're closed minded.
people who're not polite.
people who don't value knowledge, (also goes with close minded.)
i really hate rude people, (also goes with polite)
people who easily critisize others without an ability to scrutinize themselves as adequately, (possibly goes with closed minded.)
people who don't value emotions and feelings as valuable and important aspects of human nature.

and i hate capitalizing the word "i"

Gale said:
and i hate capitalizing the word "i"

And I hate z's in the word 'capitalise'!

Public restrooms; esp those in no-brand name gas stations.

Anyone ever used the restroom on a large, charter fishing boat? :eek: I went in feeling sea sick and the "restroom" finished me off.

The new look PF

zanazzi78 said:
The new look PF

i already put it back on classic and forgot about pf's "new look"

Thankfully Greg pionted out the ability to change back to the old look.

Some of the new graphics are quiet cool it's just too grey!

It's not that I'm adverse to change, it`s just that i find the colour grey very dull.

Hypocrites.
Meat heads who think they are gods gift.
Ignorant gits who think they are smarter than everyone else.
People who don't read books.
Women who think they are special just because they have an in-y instead of an out-y.

what's special about having an innie? don't most girls?

Gale said:
what's special about having an innie? don't most girls?
Except for the ones who have an out-y but dress like they have an in-y, in which case they really just want to be girls.

hint: I'm not referring to belly buttons :wink:

I hate Numb3rs. Man do I hate Numb3rs.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Except for the ones who have an out-y but dress like they have an in-y, in which case they really just want to be girls.
hint: I'm not referring to belly buttons :wink:

nice subtle hint...

and anyway, i bet the women with outies probably think they're MORE special!

I hate the taste and smell of earl gray tea. Oh and I hate Margret Thatcher, the queen and clowns on stilts.

...<_<'

What. The. CRAP?

Hypocrites
People who chew with their mouths open like cows:rolleyes:
People who insist upon slamming doors and stomping when they walk (Chill out, don't kill the house):cool:
Kids, like my brother, who are selfish and lazy yet "sweet"...people always say "They can't use their brains for much and they're lazy as hell but they're just so sweet." Yeah, that'll get them far in life, a "sweet" personality.:yuck:

People who are negative and complain too much. Of course, they don't bug me that much, because then I'd become one of them.

American History. The instructors are SO into their lectures, yet they are the only ones into it.

Telemarketers and door-to-door peddlars, especially of the 2x2 Jesus variety.

Mobile phone ringtones
smelly people on the tube/bus :yuck:
People who don`t indicate when exiting a round about or turning.
people who eat the last chocolate in the box and don`t throw it away, (they do it on purpose, make me think there are still some left, build up my hopes and then NNNNNOOOOOOOOOooooooo more chocies)
forgetting to take my lab diary to uni! Doh
stepping in puddles
Cloudy nights or nights with a full moon!
Grey:uhh:
waking up before my alarm goes off
flat beer
Chav's / Boy racers
Not much really:wink:

People who are inconsiderate to cyclists.
People who are inconsiderate to cyclists and then complain to no end if one pulls out with a bit of a narrow gap... Annoying maybe, but it's probably because they've been signalling to pull out for 5 minutes and not one person has slowed down to let them out.

Oh yeah... and cyclists. :tongue:

Oh yeah, and Danger :wink:

Touche! :rofl:

o_O

Don't hate each other...

1. What is the main argument of "What Bugs You? A Rant About Political Correctness and Other Irritants"?

The main argument of this book is that political correctness has gone too far and is causing more harm than good.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

The intended audience for this book is anyone who is frustrated with the current state of political correctness and wants to engage in a critical discussion about it.

3. Does the author offer any solutions to the issues discussed in the book?

Yes, the author offers suggestions for how to approach sensitive topics and engage in meaningful dialogue without succumbing to the pressures of political correctness.

4. Are there any specific examples of political correctness that the author addresses?

Yes, the author discusses topics such as cultural appropriation, trigger warnings, and safe spaces, among others.

5. Is this book biased towards a certain political ideology?

While the author may have their own personal beliefs, the book does not promote a specific political ideology. Rather, it encourages critical thinking and open discussion about the topic of political correctness.