1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Think of a device that can transfer a payload to a tether!

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    hello there... thanks for viewing my post.

i need to think of a mechanical device that can transfer a payload to a through a tether and this device should lift up the payload and to a fixed place about 150 cm above the ground...

well i am thinking about a spring attached to the device and when the payload drops onto the device and then it will be like a catapult and launch into the fixed place.. but the problem is i cant think of a way to make the device fix into the tether after its launched.

any ideas would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm having a bit of trouble following you. Your 2nd sentence is a bit confusing.

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3
    ok.. sorry for the confusing sentence... this is my idea.. after the spring launch, device will fling up with the rope as a guide (rope is in middle of device). i cant think of any way to make device hold up in the air long enough when carrying the payload

Attached Files:

5. Mar 7, 2012 #4

Drakkith

You're wanting to launch a device with a payload into the air along with a guide rope? Is that correct?
    What exactly will happen to the payload?

6. Mar 8, 2012 #5
    yes you are right. the device will be launched into the air. the payload should be fixed with the device... thank you for any help.

7. Mar 8, 2012 #6

Drakkith

And you want to know how to attach the device/payload to the guide rope? Or how to keep it in the air for a while?

8. Mar 8, 2012 #7
    both of them. I want to know a mechanism possible than can make use of the rope to lift the device upwards and after reaching the top, be there for a while.

9. Mar 23, 2012 #8
    any update guys?

10. Mar 23, 2012 #9

Drakkith

How about some sort of rod that locks into place instead of a rope?

11. Apr 3, 2012 #10
    its not possible. the required tether is a rope.. any ideas please.. im very desperate

12. Apr 3, 2012 #11

Drakkith

I'm sorry I don't know the details of your project well enough to really say more.

13. Apr 3, 2012 #12

K^2

Science Advisor

Is the rope fixed? Or can you wind it around a windlass?

14. Apr 3, 2012 #13

berkeman

I have a very simple idea that should work well. It's your school project, though, so the PF rules say that I cannot just tell you how to do it.

Here's a hint -- how does a ratchet work? What is its function, and how does it accomplish this function? What variations on a ratched might work well in this application of yours with the rope...?

15. Apr 9, 2012 #14
    the ratchet method is not allowed. the mechanical device should be autonomus. Its like when i drop a payload onto it, it should automatically do the mechanical function. I was thinking about using pressurised air..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook