What are the solutions to x^3+3x^2-4=0?

In summary, to solve x^3+3x^2-4=0, you can factorize it as (x-1)(x^2+4x+4) and try the integer divisors of the constant term -4 to find the other solutions. Additionally, if r is a zero of the polynomial, then (x-r) is a factor.
Elpinetos
Hi guys, somehow after a couple years of not doing math I got a bit rusty...
How do I solve x^3+3x^2-4=0 ?

I'm kinda stuck? I figured factorizing but I can't seem to find any good factors :/

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can factorize it as ##x^{3}+3x^{2}-4=(x-1)(x^{2}+4x+4)##. When looking for zeroes of a polynomial ##ax^{3}+bx^{2}+cx+d## with integer coefficients ##a,b,c,d##, try the integer divisors of constant term ##d##. (here the divisors of -4 are 1,-1,2,-2,4 and -4)

Likes 1 person
To elaborate on the above:
- When you're looking for zeroes of [itex]ax^3+bx^2+cx+d[/itex] with [itex]a,b,c,d[/itex] all integers, then try for everything of the form [itex]\frac{m}{n}[/itex] with [itex]m[/itex] a divisor of [itex]d[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] a divisor of [itex]a[/itex]. Of course, when [itex]a=1[/itex] (as in your example), it's exactly as hilbert2 said.
- If [itex]r[/itex] is a zero of your polynomial, then [itex](x-r)[/itex] is a factor. i.e. If [itex]p(r)=0[/itex], then [itex]p[/itex] is of the form [itex]p(x)=(x-r)q(x)[/itex] for some polynomial [itex]q[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Thank you guys. I don't know where I went wrong, I got 1 as a solution, but I must've screwed up during polynomial divison.
Oh well, it's been a long day.
Thank you :)

x = 1 IS a solution of x3 + 3x2 - 4 = 0, which means that x - 1 is a factor. There are two more solutions.

What is a third degree polynomial?

A third degree polynomial, also known as a cubic polynomial, is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are coefficients and x is the variable. It is called a third degree polynomial because the highest power of x is 3.

What are the characteristics of a third degree polynomial?

Some characteristics of a third degree polynomial include: it has a degree of 3, it has at most 3 real roots, it can have up to 2 turning points, and its graph can have up to 2 inflection points.

How do you solve a third degree polynomial?

To solve a third degree polynomial, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, the rational root theorem, or the cubic formula. However, for more complex polynomials, it may be necessary to use numerical methods such as graphing or using a calculator.

What are some real-life applications of third degree polynomials?

Third degree polynomials have many real-life applications, including in physics to model the motion of objects, in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.

What is the difference between a third degree polynomial and a quadratic function?

The main difference between a third degree polynomial and a quadratic function is that the third degree polynomial has an additional term with a power of x^3, while a quadratic function only has terms up to x^2. This results in a more complex shape for the graph of a third degree polynomial compared to a quadratic function.