1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third degree Taylor polynomial in two variables

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the third degree Taylor polynomial about the origin of

[itex]f(x,y) = \frac{\cos(x)}{1+xy}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From my ventures on the Internet, this is my attempt:

I see that

[itex]\cos(x) = 1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{4!}x^4 - \cdots[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{1+x} = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + \cdots[/itex]

and so

[itex]\frac{1}{1+(xy)} = 1 - xy + x^2y^2 - x^3y^3 + \cdots[/itex]

Therefore, in multiplying them out,

[itex]f(x,y) = \frac{\cos(x)}{1+xy} = 1 - xy + x^2y^2 - x^3y^3 - x + x^2y - x^3y^2 + \cdots[/itex]

And I suppose that would be my answer.

Do I have the right idea?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oops! I didn't substitute [itex](x,y) = (0,0)[/itex]. So, in doing that, I should get precisely [itex]1[/itex]. That is my answer.

EDIT: But [itex]1[/itex] doesn't seem right...

EDIT: I think I am getting confused. Pretty sure the product above would be the answer, D=

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Okay so, first things first, recall the taylor series of cos(x) around a = 0 ( Aka the maclaurin series ). As well as the one for your other fraction there which I believe you've already done.

Now you want at most a polynomial of degree three, correct? So take all your terms from both series which are polynomials of degree three or less, so for example for cosx you would choose :

[itex]1 - \frac{1}{2} x^2[/itex]

Now do the same for your other series and multiply the two resulting equations together. What do you get?

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply, Zondrina.

Ohhh, so that is what is meant by "[itex]n[/itex]-th degree!"

Alright, then I would have

[itex]f(x,y) = (1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2) (1 - xy + x^2y^2 - x^3y^3)[/itex]

so

[itex]f(x,y) = 1 - xy + x^2y^2 -x^3y^3 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{2}x^3y - \frac{1}{2}x^4y^2 + \frac{1}{2}x^5y^3[/itex]

However, as you said, I only want degree three or less, so I suppose I should eliminate all terms consisting of variables of degree greater than three, getting

[itex]f(x,y) = 1 - xy + x^2y^2 -x^3y^3 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{2}x^3y[/itex]

And, this would be my answer?

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are still mis-understanding what "nth degree" meas. [itex]x^2y^2[/itex] is of degree 4 and [itex]x^3y^3[/itex] is of degree 6.

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5

Thanks for the reply, HallsofIvy.

Oh dear, I see. Hopefully this will be my last change of answer:

[itex]f(x,y) = (1 - \frac{1}{2}x^2) (1 - xy) = 1 - xy - \frac{1}{2}x^2[/itex]

Do I now have the correct idea? D=

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook