This is a lot to take in.Are the following models linear in parameters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cuteylion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Linear Parameter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cuteylion
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Are the following models linear in parameters? If not, is there any way to make them linear-in-parameter mode?(The picture is in the attached)

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to use dy/dx to show that they are not linear as the dy/dx is not constant. However, I'm not sure how to make it linear

Will really appreciate any help!

Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • linear.jpg
    linear.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to be clear in your own mind as to what is meant by linear in parameters.

To me the parameters are [tex]\beta_0[/tex] and [tex]\beta_1[/tex]. The definition of linearity I like is the following. A function is linear in parameters c0, c1,...,cn if the function can be written in the form:

f = c0 + c1f1(x) + c2f2(x) + ... + cnfn(x)

where f1(x), f2(x), ..., fn(x) are pure functions of x.
 
Last edited: