This is more a of a theory question of the atwood and energy

In summary, the two masses are tied to a rope, and will always meet in the middle if the acceleration is the same.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I picked this up somewhere and I couldn't get a good answer

Let's say I have m_1 and m_2 hanging by a pulley on an atwood. Let m_1 > m_2 and m_2 on ground and m_1 hanging in the air at a height h

So if I ask you, what is the speed when they meet, what is the set up?

The Attempt at a Solution

Now for some reason, they will always meet at h/2, I don't know why. Why would it be even h/2?? I am not awake right now so I am probably overlooking something

Physics news on Phys.org
The blocks are connected, and hence they accelerate at the same rate. If they met anywhere other than the midpoint, it would imply that one of the objects is accelerating faster than the other.

Hi flyingpig! :smile:

m_1 and m_2 are connected by a rope.
When m_1 descends by h/2, m_2 ascends by h/2.

So something like meeting at h/3 never happens?

No.

If m_1 ascends by h/3,
then m_2 descends by h/3 ending up at (2/3)h.

Look at it this way: if two objects are subject to the same force in opposing direction, and are separated by a distance h, they will always meet in the middle. It is when the forces are are not coordinated and the acceleration of one is not equal and opposite to the other that the objects will meet anywhere else than 0.5h. Hope that helps.

I like Serena said:
No.

If m_1 ascends by h/3,

Yet the masses are different

flyingpig said:
Yet the masses are different

If the rope were elastic that would matter, but we're assuming a rope that does not stretch.

I like Serena said:
No.

If m_1 ascends by h/3,

I had to read this again and I think I understand now from your mistake (yeah who would've thought?) from my mistake

I stated that m_2 is on ground level, so m_2 can't descend. But the better way to understand is that if m_1 goes down h/3, m_2 climbs up h/3

sandy.bridge said:
Look at it this way: if two objects are subject to the same force in opposing direction, and are separated by a distance h, they will always meet in the middle. It is when the forces are are not coordinated and the acceleration of one is not equal and opposite to the other that the objects will meet anywhere else than 0.5h. Hope that helps.

Thisis just kinematics then. v0 = 0, but the acceleration has to be the same since they are tied to a rope like you said

Thank you all for answering

1. What is the Atwood machine and how does it work?

The Atwood machine is a simple device used to demonstrate the principles of acceleration and energy transfer. It consists of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. The heavier mass will accelerate downwards while the lighter mass will accelerate upwards, and the acceleration of each mass is inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How does the Atwood machine relate to energy conservation?

The Atwood machine is a perfect example of energy conservation. The total energy of the system, which includes the potential energy of the masses and the kinetic energy of the moving masses, remains constant throughout the motion. This is because the potential energy lost by the heavier mass is equal to the potential energy gained by the lighter mass.

3. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration in an Atwood machine?

The formula for calculating the acceleration in an Atwood machine is a = (m2 - m1)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, where the net force on the system is equal to the mass times the acceleration.

4. Can the Atwood machine be used to demonstrate other physical principles?

Yes, the Atwood machine can also be used to demonstrate the principles of torque and rotational motion. By attaching a disk or cylinder to the pulley, the tension in the string can be used to calculate the torque on the pulley, and the rotational acceleration can be calculated using the moment of inertia of the pulley.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Atwood machine?

The Atwood machine has many real-life applications, such as in elevators and cranes, where the tension in the cable is used to lift heavy objects. It is also used in certain types of engines and vehicles, such as bicycles and motorcycles, to transfer energy from the pedaling motion to the wheels.