1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This looks almost too easy where did I go wrong? Complex Analysis.

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.math.northwestern.edu/graduate/prelims/AnalysisPrelim2010FallFinalVersion.pdf

Problem 2 of Part III.

2. Relevant equations

Complex Analysis.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I think my proof is wrong (since I never used the fact that it was [itex]f^2[/itex]) as opposed to [itex]f[/itex]. So, could you point out at where?

Since [itex]f[/itex] is meromorphic, it can only have poles as discontinuities. We'll argue by means of contradiction. Let [itex]a[/itex] be a pole of [itex]f[/itex]. Since meromorphic functions have isolated zeroes, there exists a small disk with border [itex]\gamma[/itex] around [itex]a[/itex] such that [itex]f[/itex] has no zeroes, nor other singulaties. In particular, this implies [itex]g := \frac{1}{f^2}[/itex] is analytic on said disk. Applying Runge's theorem, we can obtain a sequence of polynomials [itex]g_n[/itex] uniformly converging to [itex]g[/itex]. So, [tex] \int_{\gamma} g_n f^2 dz \rightarrow \int_{\gamma} gf^2 dz = length(\gamma) [/tex] But by the given,

[tex]\int_{\gamma} g_n f^2 dz = 0[/tex] for all [itex]g_n[/itex], which is a contradiction.

Am I just invoking a theorem too powerful?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

An integral over a closed loop with a constant function is 0, not the length of the loop. This does not lead to a contradiction.

4. Aug 27, 2013 #3
    Oh wow. Shameful. Shameful, shameful, shameful. Been doing too much real stuff lately haha. How about this?

By the integral condition, it suffices to only consider [itex]f[/itex] having simple poles as discontinuities. Wlog, we assume it has a pole at [itex]z = 0 [/itex] and choose a contour around it which only has that as the only discontinuity in the region it defines. Thus, by the residue theorem and the integral condition, we have that [itex] \lim_{ z \rightarrow 0} z f(z) = 0 [/itex]. Thus, there exists some small c such that [itex] |z| \leq c \rightarrow |z f(z)| < 1 [/itex]. The function [itex] g(z) = z f(z) [/itex] has only 0 as a discontinuity in previously-mentioned region, and it's removable, so it's analytic on the domain defined by the contour. For [itex] |z| < c[/itex] we have by the maximum modulus principle that [itex]|g|[/itex] attains a max value at [itex]|z| = c [/itex], so in particular, [itex]|f(z)| < 1/c [/itex], for [itex]|z| < c [/itex], hence the discontinuity is removable, so not a pole.

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

I don't understand that reasoning.

I would simplify this to "no pole of any order could satisfy the lim condition, therefore f has not a pole". But you have to get the lim condition first.

6. Aug 28, 2013 #5
    Alright. So, by the integral condition and the residue theorem (in that order), we get the equalities

[tex]0 = \int zf^2 dz = Res(zf^2,0)[/tex]

Since we are assuming it's a simple pole of [itex]f[/itex], it's an order 2 pole of [itex]f^2[/itex], hence simple pole of [itex]zf^2[/itex], so the residue boils down to the limit condition [itex] \lim_{z \rightarrow z} z(z f^2 (z) ) = 0 [/itex] which is equivalent to the stated limit condition before by taking a square root.

We can assume it's a simple pole since if it was any higher, say [itex]m[/itex], we can simply replace [itex]f[/itex] with [itex]z^{m-1} f [/itex], which would then have a simple pole at [itex]z= 0[/itex] , then show it's not really a pole by the argument I produced earlier which means it couldn't have been a pole of said order for [itex]f[/itex].

I tried to reduce to the simple pole case since for higher order, the residue involves taking derivatives, and that looked scary.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. Aug 29, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Better start with modified polynomials directly, otherwise your assumption is not valid - your other cases do not look like the case you considered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted