Calculating a real integral with a complex integral

In summary: Plugging in the value of the residue, we get the final answer of \frac{\pi}{2e^2}. In summary, we can use the Cauchy's Residue Theorem to evaluate real integrals by considering the real part of a complex function. In this case, the integral \int_0^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx was evaluated by finding the residue of the function \frac{e^{2iz}}{z^2+4} at the simple pole z=2i. The final answer is \frac{\pi}{2e^2}.
jimmycricket
1. Homework Statement
Evaluate the following real integral using complex integrals:
[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy's Residue Theorem for simple pole at a: [itex]Res(f;a)=\displaystyle\lim_{z\rightarrow a} (z-a)f(z)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the function [itex]\frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex] is even, [itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx =\frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex]

Consider the real part of [itex]f(z)=\frac{e^{2iz}}{z^2+4}[/itex]

[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}Re(\displaystyle\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\int_{[-R,R]} \frac{e^{2iz}}{z^2+4})dz[/itex]

We have [itex]\int_{[-R,R]}f(z)dz=\int_\gamma f(z)-\int_{\gamma R} f(z)dz[/itex]

where [itex]\int_{\gamma R} f(z)dz[/itex] tends to zero as can be shown by the estimation theorem.

To calculate [itex]\int_\gamma f(z)[/itex] we find the residue of f at the simple pole z=2i:

[itex]Res(f;2i)=\lim_{z\rightarrow {2i}}(z-2i)\frac{e^{2iz}}{z^2+4}=\lim_{z\rightarrow {2i}}\frac{e^{2iz}+2ie^{2iz}(z-2i)}{2z}=\frac{1}{4ie^4}[/itex]

This is obviously incorrect since there can be no imaginary part

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jimmycricket said:
1. Homework Statement
Evaluate the following real integral using complex integrals:
[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy's Residue Theorem for simple pole at a: [itex]Res(f;a)=\displaystyle\lim_{z\rightarrow a} (z-a)f(z)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the function [itex]\frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex] is even, [itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx =\frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex]

Consider the real part of [itex]f(z)=\frac{e^{2iz}}{z^2+4}[/itex]

[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^2+4}dx[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}Re(\displaystyle\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\int_{[-R,R]} \frac{e^{2iz}}{z^2+4})dz[/itex]

We have [itex]\int_{[-R,R]}f(z)dz=\int_\gamma f(z)-\int_{\gamma R} f(z)dz[/itex]

where [itex]\int_{\gamma R} f(z)dz[/itex] tends to zero as can be shown by the estimation theorem.

To calculate [itex]\int_\gamma f(z)[/itex] we find the residue of f at the simple pole z=2i:

[itex]Res(f;2i)=\lim_{z\rightarrow {2i}}(z-2i)\frac{e^{2iz}}{z^2+4}=\lim_{z\rightarrow {2i}}\frac{e^{2iz}+2ie^{2iz}(z-2i)}{2z}=\frac{1}{4ie^4}[/itex]

This is obviously incorrect since there can be no imaginary part

The integral is [itex]2 \pi i[/itex] times the residue.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between a real integral and a complex integral?

A real integral is used to calculate the area under a curve on the real number line. A complex integral, on the other hand, is used to calculate the area enclosed by a curve in the complex plane.

2. Why would I need to calculate a real integral with a complex integral?

In some cases, it may be easier or more efficient to calculate a real integral using a complex integral. This is because complex integrals can be evaluated using techniques such as contour integration, which can simplify the calculation process.

3. How do I convert a real integral into a complex integral?

To convert a real integral into a complex integral, you can use the substitution method. This involves replacing the real variable with a complex variable, and then adjusting the limits of integration accordingly.

4. Can any real integral be calculated using a complex integral?

No, not all real integrals can be calculated using a complex integral. Some real integrals may not have a corresponding complex integral or may require advanced techniques that are not applicable to complex integrals.

5. What are some common applications of calculating real integrals with complex integrals?

Complex integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some common applications include calculating electric and magnetic fields, analyzing fluid dynamics, and solving differential equations.