Easy complex analysis question

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral involving complex analysis and the use of the residue theorem. The question asks whether the integral can be simplified to a real integral, but it is explained that this is not possible due to the difference between cosine and exponential functions. The correct form of the integral is given, taking into account the imaginary component.
Nikitin
[solved]Easy complex analysis question

Hi. In the complex plain, since y = 0 (in z=x+iy) at the x axis, shouldn't the following be true? :

##y=0##
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ax)}{x^2+2x+5} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2+2z+5} dz = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz[/tex]
Or does it only go like this:
##y=0##
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ax)}{x^2+2x+5} dx = Re(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2+2z+5} dz)= Re( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz)[/tex]

I am asking because I need to find the value of the integral ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(ax)}{x^2+2x+5} dx## using the residue theorem, but I don't know whether I need to use the residue of ##Re(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz)## or ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz##. The problem is that if I use the latter, my logic seems coherent but I get a residue which has both a real and imaginary part, which hints that I should find the residue of the former instead.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In fact,both are wrong!
This is how it should be:

[itex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos{ax}}{x^2+2x+5}dx=Re (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iax}}{x^2+2x+5}dx)
[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Could you please explain:

1) why my equations are wrong
2) why yours is right

EDIT: oops I forgot to specify that y=0 for BOTH of those two integrals. They were both integrated along the x-axis.

Nikitin said:
Hi. In the complex plain, since y = 0 (in z=x+iy) at the x axis, shouldn't the following be true? :

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ax)}{x^2+2x+5} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2+2z+5} dz = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz[/tex]
No, how could this be true since ##\cos ax \ne e^{iax}##?

but it's true if y =0, isn't it? sorry I forgot to specify this condition in the OP. All the integrals are evaluated on the real x-axis.

No. Euler's formula tells you that ##e^{iax} = \cos ax + i\sin ax##. For complex z, you have ##e^{ia(x+iy)} = e^{-y}e^{iax}##, which is equal to ##e^{iax}## when y=0, so you still have a problem.

Likes 1 person
oh crap I forgot about the ##i## infront of the ##az## (i've been cramming 70-80 hours a week now in preparation for the exams, duno if this is a good excuse). OK, I see the problem now,t hx

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is used to analyze and understand properties of functions that are defined on the complex plane.

What is an easy complex analysis question?

An easy complex analysis question typically involves basic concepts such as finding the roots of a complex polynomial, computing the modulus of a complex number, or evaluating simple complex integrals.

What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on the number line, while a complex number is a number that contains both a real and imaginary component. The imaginary component is denoted by the letter "i" and is equal to the square root of -1.

What is the fundamental theorem of algebra?

The fundamental theorem of algebra states that every non-constant polynomial with complex coefficients has at least one complex root.

What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and signal processing, among others.