1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy complex analysis question

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    [solved]Easy complex analysis question

Hi. In the complex plain, since y = 0 (in z=x+iy) at the x axis, shouldn't the following be true? :

##y=0##
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ax)}{x^2+2x+5} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2+2z+5} dz = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz[/tex]
    Or does it only go like this:
    ##y=0##
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ax)}{x^2+2x+5} dx = Re(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2+2z+5} dz)= Re( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz)[/tex]

I am asking because I need to find the value of the integral ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(ax)}{x^2+2x+5} dx## using the residue theorem, but I don't know whether I need to use the residue of ##Re(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz)## or ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(z) dz##. The problem is that if I use the latter, my logic seems coherent but I get a residue which has both a real and imaginary part, which hints that I should find the residue of the former instead.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

In fact,both are wrong!
    This is how it should be:

[itex]
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos{ax}}{x^2+2x+5}dx=Re (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iax}}{x^2+2x+5}dx)
    [/itex]

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3
    Could you please explain:

1) why my equations are wrong
    2) why yours is right

EDIT: oops I forgot to specify that y=0 for BOTH of those two integrals. They were both integrated along the x-axis.

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, how could this be true since ##\cos ax \ne e^{iax}##?

6. Dec 4, 2013 #5
    but it's true if y =0, isn't it? sorry I forgot to specify this condition in the OP. All the integrals are evaluated on the real x-axis.

7. Dec 4, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. Euler's formula tells you that ##e^{iax} = \cos ax + i\sin ax##. For complex z, you have ##e^{ia(x+iy)} = e^{-y}e^{iax}##, which is equal to ##e^{iax}## when y=0, so you still have a problem.

8. Dec 4, 2013 #7
    oh crap I forgot about the ##i## infront of the ##az## (i've been cramming 70-80 hours a week now in preparation for the exams, duno if this is a good excuse). OK, I see the problem now,t hx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted