This pharse has three misstakes. How many mistakes does this phrase have?

• Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
The conversation revolves around a phrase that supposedly has three mistakes, but through further analysis and discussions, it is revealed that it actually has zero mistakes. The conversation also delves into the definition of a mistake and the different types of mistakes that can be made. Some participants also mention the incorrect placement and use of quotes, and the incorrect forum in which the phrase was posted. Overall, the discussion concludes that the phrase has no mistakes.
kaleidoscope
"This pharse has three misstakes." How many mistakes does this phrase have?

"This pharse has three misstakes."

How many mistakes does this phrase really have?

Physics news on Phys.org

Define mistake.

If grammatical, two.
If philosophical, one.
Combined, three.

Oh my, it displays many mistakes ! To begin with, it is written (1) too large and (2) in bold, so that I read it in a shouting tone, which is really inappropriate. Next, (3) it uses "quotes" although the common usage on PF is to use tags
as so
Any other scheme is a grave mistake of taste around here. Further, (4) it is posted in GD although it is a brainteaser; at most in philosophy section, but not in GD. Finally, it states to have (3) mistakes, although it has at least (4) as we just saw, therefore more than (4).

It is not written in Norwegian.

fry-1.jpg

No one mentioned spelling?

Evo said:
No one mentioned spelling?
I did not mention it because the OP attempted to trick us into a catch 22, "This sentence is a lie" logical contradiction. Outside the box thinking being necessary, I decided to fire back with emphasis on what was not inside the box :smile:

humanino said:
I did not mention it because the OP attempted to trick us into a catch 22, "This sentence is a lie" logical contradiction. Outside the box thinking being necessary, I decided to fire back with emphasis on what was not inside the box :smile:
I loved your answers BTW!

I thought about the option of the second sentence, but decided to ignore it, it's how questions in school were usually asked.

I'm sorry for my bad netiquette. :(

humanino said:
Further, (4) it is posted in GD although it is a brainteaser; at most in philosophy section, but not in GD.

This is wrong! It's in the brainteaser forum, not GD!

Sheesh! Some people!

BobG said:
This is wrong! It's in the brainteaser forum, not GD!

Sheesh! Some people!
That's Evo's witchery I believe.

I would think 2 spelling errors and 1 mathematical

J MAZURE said:
I would think 2 spelling errors and 1 mathematical
Then you run into self-contradiction : if it has a mathematical error (it says 3 although it's only 2), then it does not have mathematical error (now it really has three), and vice-versa...

kaleidoscope said:
How many mistakes does this phrase really have?
None.

Jimmy Snyder said:
None.
I remember long ago when I posted some teasers here. Already then, Jimmy Snyder never had any difficulty finding the solution I knew (the obvious one), and would therefore most often come up with a better one. Nicely played sir.

I'd agree and I'm no English Major but since the first sentence is in quotation marks the word "this" in the second sentence could mean previous--no?

Zero.

This farce has had more than three miss-takes surely, at least four of them from me...but...

Q: how many mistakes does this phrase really have?

A: None.

FAQ: This pharse has three misstakes. How many mistakes does this phrase have?

1. What is the meaning of "This phrase has three mistakes"?

The statement means that there are three errors or incorrect elements in the given phrase.

2. How can I identify the three mistakes in the phrase?

To identify the mistakes, you can carefully read and analyze the phrase, looking for any spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors.

3. Are the mistakes intentional or accidental?

Without more context, it is difficult to determine if the mistakes were intentional or accidental. However, it is important to proofread and edit carefully to avoid any unintentional mistakes.

4. Can you give an example of a mistake in the phrase?

An example of a mistake in the phrase could be a misspelled word, a missing punctuation mark, or a grammatical error such as subject-verb agreement.

5. Why is it important to correct mistakes in written language?

Correcting mistakes in written language is important because it ensures clear communication and avoids confusion or misunderstanding. It also reflects a level of professionalism and attention to detail in written work.

Back