Thomas Jefferson's Use of Calculus in Plow Design

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Design
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
teroenza
Messages
190
Reaction score
5
Hello all,
As a Virginian and a physics major, I recently became interested in examining Thomas Jefferson's supposed use of calculus in designing a plow. For the life of me, however, I cannot find any online pictures or descriptions of the actual mathematics used. I have a few drawings, and many articles hinting at his use of calculus, but nothing containing actual calculations. Does anyone have any idea on where I may be able to find such things?

Thank You
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
teroenza said:
Hello all,
As a Virginian and a physics major, I recently became interested in examining Thomas Jefferson's supposed use of calculus in designing a plow. For the life of me, however, I cannot find any online pictures or descriptions of the actual mathematics used. I have a few drawings, and many articles hinting at his use of calculus, but nothing containing actual calculations. Does anyone have any idea on where I may be able to find such things?

Thank You

Not found directly in this link but some of the citations e.g. Thomas Jefferson, Scientist etc. along with the discription of his admiration for Newton look promising.
http://www.ansp.org/museum/jefferson/otherPages/enlightenment.php
 
Last edited by a moderator: