Thomas Jefferson's Use of Calculus in Plow Design

In summary, the individual is interested in exploring Thomas Jefferson's use of calculus in designing a plow but is having difficulty finding any online resources containing the actual calculations. They are seeking suggestions for where they may be able to find this information.
teroenza
Hello all,
As a Virginian and a physics major, I recently became interested in examining Thomas Jefferson's supposed use of calculus in designing a plow. For the life of me, however, I cannot find any online pictures or descriptions of the actual mathematics used. I have a few drawings, and many articles hinting at his use of calculus, but nothing containing actual calculations. Does anyone have any idea on where I may be able to find such things?

Thank You

Mathematics news on Phys.org
teroenza said:
Hello all,
As a Virginian and a physics major, I recently became interested in examining Thomas Jefferson's supposed use of calculus in designing a plow. For the life of me, however, I cannot find any online pictures or descriptions of the actual mathematics used. I have a few drawings, and many articles hinting at his use of calculus, but nothing containing actual calculations. Does anyone have any idea on where I may be able to find such things?

Thank You

Not found directly in this link but some of the citations e.g. Thomas Jefferson, Scientist etc. along with the discription of his admiration for Newton look promising.
http://www.ansp.org/museum/jefferson/otherPages/enlightenment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How did Thomas Jefferson use calculus in plow design?

Thomas Jefferson used calculus in plow design to calculate the optimal angle of the plow blade for cutting through soil and reducing resistance. He also used calculus to determine the best curve for the moldboard, which is the part of the plow that turns the soil over.

2. What specific problems did Jefferson solve using calculus in plow design?

Jefferson used calculus to solve problems related to the shape and angle of the plow blade and the moldboard. This included determining the optimal angle of the blade for cutting through soil, the ideal curve for the moldboard, and the most efficient way to turn the soil over.

3. How did Jefferson's use of calculus in plow design improve agricultural practices?

Jefferson's use of calculus in plow design helped to improve agricultural practices by creating more efficient and effective plows. By using calculus to optimize the design, plows were able to cut through soil with less resistance and turn the soil over more efficiently, making farming easier and more productive.

4. Was Jefferson the first person to use calculus in plow design?

No, Jefferson was not the first person to use calculus in plow design. The use of calculus in engineering and design had been around for centuries before Jefferson's time. However, Jefferson's advancements in plow design and his application of calculus in this field were significant contributions to the agricultural industry.

5. Can Jefferson's use of calculus in plow design still be seen in modern plows?

Yes, Jefferson's use of calculus in plow design can still be seen in modern plows. While plow designs have evolved over time, the principles of calculus that Jefferson used to optimize the plow's shape and angle are still applied in modern plow design. This is a testament to the effectiveness and lasting impact of Jefferson's contributions in this field.