Those who can't teach.

Are these the definitiona given by the teacher (are they photocopied?) or are they the definitionas "from the teacher" but "as written " by the student? Perhaps the teacher did give better definitions, but something got lost in translation? Just checking a possibility.
It's a printed handout. I hold the teacher responsible for the content even if it was written by someone else.

Evo
Mentor
Are these the definitiona given by the teacher (are they photocopied?) or are they the definitionas "from the teacher" but "as written " by the student? Perhaps the teacher did give better definitions, but something got lost in translation? Just checking a possibility.
I was wondering if it was from a teacher's guide, but how could a teacher hand out something so wrong? Surely she would bother to read it? Maybe not.

Here is the vocabulary list that my 7th grader son brought home for study. The words come from the book 'The Cat Ate My Gymsuit' by Paul Danziger.

interpretation - to make clear or understandable or reveal the the meaning of.
contagious - to spread by direct or indirect contact
grammar - the study of the structure and forms of words in a language
clod - a dull or awkward person
dynamics - characterized by or full of energy and vigor
cretins - a person having a condition present at birth, or developing in infancy, characterized by stunted physical and mental growth
syllabus - a brief summary or outline of something, as a course of study

I find 7 errors and one probable. How many do you get?
To me, it sounds like he/she is pissed off at someone and chose those words for 'some' reason--in fact, I played a couple of scenarios with those words before.
-----
(when I mean 'played', I mean just mentally, of course!)

--------------------------------------

Ok---who can make the 'shortest' sentence using all those words (and that still makes some sense)?

Last edited:
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
These are four egregious errors. Others are debatable, but even one of these should never come from an English teacher. I would pursue this.

noun-verb disagreement
contagious - to spread by direct or indirect contact
adjective-verb disagreement; and the verb would be "infect" or "contaminate"
dynamics - characterized by or full of energy and vigor
noun-adjective disagreement
cretins - a person having a condition present at birth, or developing in infancy, characterized by stunted physical and mental growth
plural-singular disagreement

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The problem with a conference is that it won't produce anything that the marked up paper won't.
I don't know. I think wanting to discuss the matter in person shows you are a concerned parent, as opposed to an obnoxious one who grades the teacher in red ink. I know, she deserved it, but it just seems more constructive to discuss it in person, perhaps with the principal joining in the meeting to find out why your child has an English teacher who herself does not have a working knowledge of the fundamentals of English grammar. Perhaps she is trained to be a Phys Ed teacher, and for some lame reason, the principal stuck her in teaching an English class. Requesting a conference also ensures that your kid didn't get embarrassed about your corrections to the definitions and decide to not hand them in at all.

To me, it sounds like he/she is pissed off at someone and chose those words for 'some' reason.
They are taken from the book.

turbo
Gold Member
I used to work for a former teacher (in an unrelated business), and his constant assassination of the English language was like fingernails on a blackboard. He loved using big words, and he did so with gay abandon. One of his favorites was "subsequently". The problem is that he always used it to imply causation, and somehow couldn't manage to utter "consequently". When reports had to be distributed to department heads, he would say that the reports had to be "disbursed" before the meeting. He pronounced "columns" exactly like "volumes" except with a hard "c". When describing a piece of furniture, he always referred to the front as a "frontis" - no knowing why. Another constant howler was his used of "incredulous" when he needed the word "incredible". I used to have to clean up his product descriptions constantly before allowing them into print. One particularly egregious example that my assistant and I busted a gut over was "The frontis elaborated with incredulous columns." (with no verb and his standard mispronunciation of columns). Every time we'd get a tape of "expert" product descriptions from him, we'd look at each other and repeat that line. I pity the kids who had him in HS.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
noun - verb (and two the's in a row)
There's at least one more error (a missing comma) in there. This is unacceptable, jimmy. There's no good reason for you to put up with this level of incompetence.

If I was running this school I'd fire this teacher. And then I'd have to fire myself for hiring the teacher in the first place.

Last edited:
So far, here is the upshot. The paper that I had red penciled came back to me with corrections on it, done by crossing out words. For example
interpretation - to make clear or understandable or reveal the the meaning of
became
interpretation - clear or understandable meaning
and so on and no other communication. Not all corrections were made, but that is not the issue. The only issue with me is the next vocabulary sheet. I expect the problem to go away.