Throwing an object over the fence

• Thread starter forrestuv
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to throw an object over a fence at a specified destination point in a given time. The solution involves finding initial speed x and initial speed y using the given parameters, and then using kinematic equations to calculate the final height of the object at the destination point. This includes finding the angle (θ) at which the object must be thrown. The final formula for calculating the initial velocity to make the object reach the destination point and cross the fence is complex and may require additional time and effort.
forrestuv

Homework Statement

I need to throw an Object over a fence at a destinationPoint reached in a given time

startPointX=0
startPointY=0.4
destpointX=25
destpointY=0
time=3
fence height=1
fence posX = 10

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to split up the problem in two components X,Y

initialSpeedX=(destPointX-startPointX) / time

giving the formula of a falling body:
distance = 1/2 × gravity × time^2 + intialspeedY × time

initialSpeedY=((destPointy - startPointy) - (0.5 * gravity * (time* time))) / time

now if I throw the object at an initial velocity of (initialSpeedX,initialSpeedY) it will hit the destpoint in the given time.

now I can calculate if the object at a certain time will hit the fence

timeToReachTheNet = (fencePosX-startPointX) / ((destPointX-startPointx) / Time)
fenceHitHeight = startPointy+( (gravity * (timeToReachTheNet^2) + 2 * initialSpeedY* timeToReachTheNet ) / 2);

if the fenceHitHeight is less than 1 it will hit the fence.

now, if the object hit the fence, how can I find the initialSpeedY so it will reach at least 1mt of height and cross the fence?

it seems that a simple equation is not enough... uhm..

maybe I could find the right equation to directly without the fence hit test..but this is the only method I know :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found initial speed x and initial speed y.
Now tanθ = (initial speed y) / (initial speed y)
Using kinematic equation, you can see that
yf = yi + x*tanθ - 1/2*g*x^2/(v^2*co^2θ)

= yi + x*tan(θ) - 1/2*g*x^2*sec^2(θ)/(v^2)
Put sec^2(θ) = 1 + tan^2(θ) and solve the quadratics to find tanθ.

really hard for me...I'm just a programmer :(
could you be go into details a little more?

would it require much time for you to write the final formula to calculate the initial velocity to make the object reach a destination point, crossing a fence?

I'm not able to do all the calculations required :(

What is the science behind throwing an object over the fence?

The science behind throwing an object over the fence involves the principles of force, velocity, and trajectory. When you apply force to the object, it gains velocity and follows a curved trajectory due to the force of gravity. The angle and speed of the throw also play a role in determining how far the object will go.

How does the weight and shape of the object affect its trajectory when thrown over a fence?

The weight and shape of the object can greatly affect its trajectory when thrown over a fence. Objects with greater weight will require more force to throw, and objects with irregular shapes may experience more air resistance, altering their trajectory. Objects with a streamlined shape will typically have a smoother and more predictable trajectory.

What are some factors that can affect the distance an object travels when thrown over a fence?

The distance an object travels when thrown over a fence can be affected by a variety of factors. These include the initial force and velocity applied to the object, the angle of the throw, the weight and shape of the object, air resistance, and the height of the fence. External factors such as wind and surface conditions can also impact the object's distance.

Is there a maximum distance an object can travel when thrown over a fence?

There is no specific maximum distance an object can travel when thrown over a fence. The distance will depend on the factors mentioned above, and can vary greatly depending on the specific circumstances. With enough force and the right conditions, an object could potentially travel an infinite distance when thrown over a fence.

How can we calculate the trajectory of an object when thrown over a fence?

To calculate the trajectory of an object when thrown over a fence, you can use the principles of physics and math, specifically the equations for projectile motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of the throw, and the effects of gravity and air resistance, allowing you to predict the path and distance of the object. There are also online calculators and apps available for more accurate calculations.