1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI 89 Titanium Help - Plotting y^2 graphs.

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    The <Diamond> + F1 menu allows me to plot only Y= graphs.

How do I plot a graph of say, y^2=x+4 ?

You cannot plot y=Root(x+4) because you would miss the negative part of y.

If this is the only way to plot such graphs, how to you tell TI to plot a y= +/- Root(x+4) ?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can plot Root(x + 4) and -Root(x + 4) simultaneously (e.g. using Y1 and Y2).
    Or you can plot x^2 = y + 4 <=> y = x^2 - 4 and rotate your calculator :smile:

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    CompuChip, Thank you very much for this reply, but is it the only way I can plot graphs of y^2?

I surmise, like many would do as well, that rotating your calculator is awkward. Besides, though you could type the positive part for Y1, and then plot Y2=-Y1 as a shortcut, it is still cumbersome.

I am convinced that there should be a little TI 89 hack, or addon that would allow me to choose what left hand defining part of the equation that I wish to plot. For instance, rather than having only Ys in the <Diamond>F1 menu, I can choose between X and Y ( or Z for 3D).

In Microsoft Math 3.0, I am allowed to choose. So I just select X from the dropdown menu, and define X in terms of y^+4 and I get my graph.

Any ideas how this can be done in TI89 Titanium?

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm if typing -Y2 or rotating the screen or doing a sketch yourself on a piece of paper is too much work, maybe you can put your calculator in parametric mode and plot
    X1(T) = T^2
    Y1(T) = T
    ?

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5
    I guess plotting y-squareds in terms of x is a Texas Instruments limitation. Substituting for variables can be done, but then, imagine one has 5 or 6 graphs to plot and wishes to see where they intersect. Cumbersome.

Basically, I shall learn all the quadratic rules, graph transformations, and the graphs' general shapes.

Having such a graphical calculator is pointless, unless I code the little program in ASM that will allow me to choose my defining parameter (x or y ).

7. Sep 26, 2008 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do what CompuChip says: using MODE set the Graph mode to PARAMETRIC. Then, press the green y=, and set yt1 = t and, since x = y^2 - 1, xt1 = t^2 - 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?