Time and Distance Calculations for Road Trip from Dallas to Chicago

  • Thread starter Thread starter taraxrose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
taraxrose
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Jerry Kramer and Elaine are driving from Dallas to Chicago, a distance of 925 mi. Jerry leaves at 7:12 AM and averages 64 mi/h. Kramer leaves at 6:38 AM and averages 71 mi/h. Elaine leaves at 5:55 AM and averages 66 mi/h. Newman departs Chicago heading for Dallas at the same time Kramer leaves at a speed of 75 mi/h.

c. At what time does Jerry pass Newman?
d. What percentage of the trip has Elaine completed at the time Newman has completed 70% of his trip?

Homework Equations


I have no idea, sorry, other than the speed equation maybe that I already used. I have no idea how to answer those questions although I know it should be easy.


The Attempt at a Solution



I know they end up at their destinations at these times:
Newman: 6:58 PM
Kramer: 7:39 PM
Jerry: 9:39 PM
Elaine: 9:04 PM
 
Physics news on Phys.org
c) Where is Newman when Jerry leaves Dallas? What is their speed difference?

d) If Newman leaves at 6:38 AM and arrives at 6:58 PM, when did he complete 70% of his trip?

Those are questions you should ask yourself to solve problems like that.
 
You should also ask yourself what variables are the same for Newman when Jerry when they pass.