Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time and gravity on the quantum level?

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    Time and gravity on the quantum level??

Gravity has been proven to slow time, and gravity has less an effect the smaller the object, and little to no effect at the quantum scale. So can we calculate the lessening effect of gravity with decreasing mass of an object? Then can we stretch out time in relation to that correlation to quantify time on the quantum level?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Time and gravity on the quantum level??

Not all effects of gravity are less with smaller objects. Remember the story of Galileo dropping two balls of different size off the Tower of Pisa? The same with how time is affected by gravity. A big clock and a small clock will tick the same under the same influence of gravity. So the answers to your two questions are "no". Are you thinking maybe something along the lines of how you would weigh less on the moon than you do on their earth?

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3

No, I just thought since time is relative and affected by very large objects in space that warp space-time, I thought if we could extraoplate it mathmatically down to the quantum level guess I was just seeing if time on the quantum scale could be quantified as moving different from time at the normal large scales?

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But even when time is slowed down, such as it is to a very small extent on the surface of the earth at different elevations, all objects experience the same slow down and so it is not detectable. It's only when we compare how fast a clock is ticking at one elevation to an identical clock at a different elevation that we can detect the difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook