Time dilation to go a specific distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and length contraction in the context of traveling to Alpha Centauri A at a velocity of 0.92 c. It is determined that the time taken to travel to the star is 1.86 years from the perspective of the spaceship, due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. The conversation also touches on the idea of the spaceship measuring the speed of the Earth as the same.
sparks97
Traveling on a spaceship to Alpha Centauri A, 4.37 light years away, at a velocity of 0.92 c,
if you just calculate the time by dividing the distance by the velocity:
[itex] t = \frac{d}{v} = 1.496 x 10^8 sec = 4.74 years[/itex]

Is this the time from the Earth reference frame?
Then the time on the spaceship is:

[itex] t' = t \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}} = 1.86 years[/itex]
This is less than the time it takes light to reach Earth. Using length contraction on the spaceship, then determining the time to travel the shorter distance results in this same time.

OR, the time of 4.74 years is the time onboard the spaceship and the time on Earth is 12.09 years.

I'm confused!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, change the backslash in the \tex to a forward slash and it will display properly.

Mentz114 said:
Hi, change the backslash in the \tex to a forward slash and it will display properly.
Thanks! I figured that out.

welcome to pf!

hi sparks97! welcome to pf! :smile:
sparks97 said:
Traveling on a spaceship to Alpha Centauri A, 4.37 light years away, at a velocity of 0.92 c,
if you just calculate the time by dividing the distance by the velocity:
[itex] t = \frac{d}{v} = 1.496 x 10^8 sec = 4.74 years[/itex]

Is this the time from the Earth reference frame?

yes :smile:
Then the time on the spaceship is:

[itex] t' = t \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}} = 1.86 years[/itex]
This is less than the time it takes light to reach Earth. Using length contraction on the spaceship, then determining the time to travel the shorter distance results in this same time.

OR, the time of 4.74 years is the time onboard the spaceship and the time on Earth is 12.09 years.

the spaceship regards both alpha centauri and Earth as moving, so the length is contracted

since the spaceship clock reading is also lower, by the same amount, that means the spaceship measures the speed of the Earth as the same, v :wink:
Mentz114 said:

or just type two #s before and after: ##\sqrt{ 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##

There's an ongoing thread with almost the same scenario. The astronaut is coming back from a star almost 4 light-years away, taking 2 years of his time to be here. But the principles are the same and might help you understand.

ghwellsjr said:
There's an ongoing thread with almost the same scenario. The astronaut is coming back from a star almost 4 light-years away, taking 2 years of his time to be here. But the principles are the same and might help you understand.

I posted a Thanks to Tiny Tim. I'm not sure where it went.

Thanks for posting this link to the other thread. Great forum here!

sparks97 said:
I posted a Thanks to Tiny Tim. I'm not sure where it went.

it goes into the recipient's "MY PF" :wink:

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for observers who are moving relative to one another. This effect is predicted by the theory of relativity and has been confirmed through experiments.

2. How does time dilation affect travel?

Time dilation can affect travel by causing time to pass at a slower rate for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that for a traveler, time will appear to pass slower than it does for someone who is stationary, allowing them to cover greater distances in a shorter amount of time.

3. How is time dilation related to velocity?

Time dilation is directly related to velocity, as the faster an object is moving, the greater the effect of time dilation will be. This is because as an object's velocity increases, its relative speed to other objects also increases, causing time to pass at a slower rate for that object.

4. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

While time dilation can be observed in everyday life, the effect is extremely small at everyday speeds and is only noticeable for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. Therefore, it is not something that can be easily observed in our daily experiences.

5. How does time dilation impact space travel?

Time dilation plays a crucial role in space travel, as it allows for longer distances to be covered in shorter amounts of time. This is especially important for space missions that involve traveling at high speeds, such as interstellar travel. Time dilation also affects the aging of astronauts, as they may experience a slower passage of time compared to those on Earth.