1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-energy uncertainty and derivative of an operator

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would appreciate feedback on the following two problems:
    (1) For a given operator A with no explicit time dependence I am asked to show that d/dt(eAt)=A(eAt)
    (2) A free wave packet of width Δx is traveling at a constant velocity v0=p0/m. I am asked to estimate the time-energy uncertainty relation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (1) Is this as straightforward as it appears to be? Probably isn't, right? Is this to be solved using Ehrenfest's theorem? Or how?
    (2) I can easily show that ΔEΔt ~ ħ but is this what I am plainly asked, or am I rather asked to arrive at a more exact result (i.e. find the proportionality coefficient)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To take the time derivative of [itex]e^{At}[/itex] with respect to [itex]t[/itex], you can take the power series expansion of [itex]e^{At}[/itex], differentiate term by term, and re-exponentiate, since what you get left should be [itex]A[/itex] times another exponential.

For the second problem, it looks like they're asking you to calculate the uncertainty product [itex]\Delta E\Delta t[/itex] from the given information. Then you can see for yourself how much larger than [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] it is.

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    For the second problem, how may I go about it then? Is it necessary to write the general wave function for the wave packet and then find the variances?

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would think so, if you know what the wavefunction of the wave packet is. I can't say off the top of my head what that would be, though.

6. Jan 2, 2015 #5
    The question, as formulated, does not provide any additional information other than that in #1. Any ideas?

7. Jan 2, 2015 #6

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing that there is a standard formula for a free wave packet of given [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]p_{0}[/itex], to which the problem is referring.

Failing that, the best I can think of is to find a limit to the momentum uncertainty with [itex]\Delta p\geq \frac{\hbar}{2 \Delta x}[/itex].

Then, knowing [itex]p_{0}[/itex] and a bound for [itex]\Delta p[/itex], you can use that [itex]E=\frac{p^{2}}{2m}[/itex] and the propagation of uncertainty

[itex](\Delta E)^{2}\approx (\frac{\partial E}{\partial p})^{2}(\Delta p)^{2}[/itex]

Getting an estimate for the time uncertainty is a bit trickier (since time is not an observable), but you can say that

[itex]\Delta t = \frac{\Delta x}{(\frac{d <x>}{dt})}[/itex]

That's about all I can say on the matter, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted