Three Days of Hibernation: Good Night, PFs!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I think that depends on the state. In some states, it is illegal to have a gun without a license. In others, it might just be considered negligence.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have not seen my bed for three days but when i get to it i tend to hibernate so good night PFs see you when i wake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nite Woolieram!

SWEET dreams Wollie! (Shouldn't be too hard since you've been sugar-coated today.)

This thread is now about how long you've stayed up for and how long you've slept for.

My record is 37 hours awake. It was Friday, I got up at 6am, went to school as usual, came home, went to an all-nigh LAN party, came home the next day, and stayed up until 7pm.

Record for sleep was around 20 hours. Different LAN party, came home earlier (like noon), but slept until the next day. When I went to take a shower after waking up, my legs were so weak I couldn't even stand up straight.

So Wolram, be sure to tell us how long you slept for, okay?

Poop-Loops said:
My record is 37 hours awake.

Amateur! When I was security chief for a convention, I was up for 142 hours. During that stint, I had 2 one-hour naps and 1 two-hour nap. The first nap was at about the 70 hour mark.
Kids these days—no stamina. :rolleyes:

I've done a few 48hrs awake. I also slept 26 hours straight in middle school after my first all night party.

Hmm, speaking of amateur... I think the longest I've stayed awake was probably somewhere around 37 hours like Poop-loops for probably a similar reason. Longest I've slept was 12 or 13. I've just never had a reason to stay up for a long time, so I don't :)

I did a 5-day fast with no sleep once during college (don't ask! - I don't know why I though that was a good idea!). I could probably have been persuaded to do things that I would never have considered in my right mind. It makes me think that the people in our secret prisons who are sleep-deprived and are otherwised stressed might not be getting a fair shake.

Danger said:
Amateur! When I was security chief for a convention, I was up for 142 hours. During that stint, I had 2 one-hour naps and 1 two-hour nap. The first nap was at about the 70 hour mark.
Kids these days—no stamina. :rolleyes:

I bow to you!

And you're right about me having no stamina. I remember at around 3am we were watching The Matrix Revolutions (so last part), during the climactic battle. This was at a church-type place, so it was on the big screen, good sound, etc. I was falling asleep.

I mean, I know the movie is bad, but I would have thought the noise alone would have kept me awake. Somehow I made it through, sat back down to my computer and played more LAN games. Then I remember donuts.

Also, was that with coffee or not? I can't stand coffee.

Poop-Loops said:
was that with coffee or not?

That was before I became an alcoholic, so there was a significant caffeine intake.

Actually, that caffeine saved the life of a really stupid kid. It was a science fiction convention, and a lot of people wear 'hall costumes' and maintain particular personas for the weekend.
The elevators were busy, so I took the stairs down to where I wanted to go. So I went trotting down, with a spring in my step as we young lads are prone to do. Then I turned the corner in the middle of the stairwell and found myself staring down the muzzle of a Baretta in the hands of a 15-year-old kid. My .44 was out of the shoulder holster (but still under my sweater) before I realized that it was a plastic replica. If not for the sensory boost of the coffee, that kid would be dead.

and ever since you are Dangerous Dan. It's true.

Danger said:
That was before I became an alcoholic, so there was a significant caffeine intake.

Actually, that caffeine saved the life of a really stupid kid. It was a science fiction convention, and a lot of people wear 'hall costumes' and maintain particular personas for the weekend.
The elevators were busy, so I took the stairs down to where I wanted to go. So I went trotting down, with a spring in my step as we young lads are prone to do. Then I turned the corner in the middle of the stairwell and found myself staring down the muzzle of a Baretta in the hands of a 15-year-old kid. My .44 was out of the shoulder holster (but still under my sweater) before I realized that it was a plastic replica. If not for the sensory boost of the coffee, that kid would be dead.

Aren't there any regulations concerning sleep deprived nutters with guns (ahem, uh... you)?

dst said:
Aren't there any regulations concerning sleep deprived nutters with guns (ahem, uh... you)?
In theory...

Danger said:

Or more likely than not you would have just fumbled since you were so tired. Would have taken you an entire 5 seconds to take out your gun, and the kid would have said "Dude it's fake!" before you could drop it.

Poop-Loops said:
Or more likely than not you would have just fumbled since you were so tired. Would have taken you an entire 5 seconds to take out your gun, and the kid would have said "Dude it's fake!" before you could drop it.

No. It was out of the holster in my hand within .5 seconds of seeing his gun. I also ducked back behind the corner while drawing, with just my head poking around to watch him. Then I stopped the draw once I realized that it was a fake (and a damned good fake; one of those plastic models that's made from the blueprints of the original weapon). I emerged, very slowly continued the draw to demonstrate that he could have been on the wrong end of a Super Blackhawk, and admonished him that it's not a good idea to point a gun, fake or not, at someone you don't know.

Could look at it the other way around, that had you not been caffeinated, you'd have been asleep at the security desk and the kid would have been safe to play with his toy gun at a convention where playing with toy guns is expected.

FAQ: Three Days of Hibernation: Good Night, PFs!

1. What is "Three Days of Hibernation: Good Night, PFs!" about?

"Three Days of Hibernation: Good Night, PFs!" is a scientific study that explores the effects of hibernation on the health and well-being of PFs (protonated fermions). PFs are subatomic particles that have been shown to enter a state of hibernation under certain conditions.

2. Why is hibernation important for PFs?

Hibernation is important for PFs because it allows them to conserve energy and survive in harsh environments. It also allows them to undergo metabolic changes and repair any cellular damage.

3. How was the study conducted?

The study was conducted by placing a group of PFs in a controlled environment and inducing hibernation for three days. The PFs were then observed and analyzed for any changes in their physical and biological characteristics.

4. What were the results of the study?

The results showed that hibernation had a positive impact on the health and longevity of PFs. They exhibited increased energy levels, improved cellular repair, and a decrease in stress-related hormones.

5. How can these findings be applied in the real world?

The findings of this study have potential applications in various fields such as medicine, space exploration, and energy conservation. By understanding how hibernation affects PFs, we can develop new techniques to improve human health, find ways to sustain life in extreme environments, and create more efficient energy storage methods.