Time period of oscillation and gravitation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 11K views
voko said:
If ##U_0## is the potential energy at the equilibrium, and ##K_0## is the kinetic energy at the same position, what does ##K_0 = 0 ## imply?

If I compare it with a spring block system performing SHM, the kinetic energy at equilibrium is maximum. But then what do I substitute for ##K_0##? :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
If I compare it with a spring block system performing SHM, the kinetic energy at equilibrium is maximum. But then what do I substitute for ##K_0##? :confused:

Do you have to?

Motion always depends on some initial conditions, so ##K_0## can be regarded as one of them.

Alternatively, you can differentiate the energy equation, which will eliminate both ##U_0## and ##K_0## (but when it is solved, you will have to specify initial conditions anyway).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Hi voko! I am thinking of writing down the energy of system at any instant and set the derivative with respect to time equal to zero to obtain a relation between ##\ddot{\theta}## and ##\theta##.

I rechecked my algebra and there was a mistake in my previous expression for ##U##. This time I get,
$$U=U_0-GM_em\left(\frac{a}{(R+a)^2}-\frac{a}{(R-a)^2}+\frac{4b^2}{R^3}\right)\frac{\theta^2}{2}$$
Using the approximation, ##1/(R-a)^2=(1/R^2)(1+2a/R)## and ##1/(R+a)^2=(1/R^2)(1-2a/R)##,
$$U=U_0-\frac{GM_em}{2}\left(\frac{4b^2}{R^3}-\frac{4a^2}{R^3}\right)\frac{\theta^2}{2}$$
$$\Rightarrow U=U_0-\frac{2GM_em(b^2-a^2)}{R^3}\theta^2$$
The kinetic energy K is
$$K=ma^2\dot{\theta}^2+mb^2\dot{\theta}^2=m\dot{\theta}^2(a^2+b^2)$$
The total energy E at any instant is ##E=K+U##. Substituting K and U and differentiating wrt to time,
$$\frac{dE}{dt}=-\frac{2GM_em(b^2-a^2)}{R^3}(2\theta\dot{\theta})+m(a^2+b^2)(2\dot{\theta}\ddot{\theta})=0$$
Simplifying,
$$\ddot{\theta}=-\frac{2GM_e(a^2-b^2)}{(a^2+b^2)R^3}\theta=-\frac{2GM_e(\eta^2-1)}{(\eta^2+1)R^3}\theta$$
where ##\eta=a/b##.
Hence, the time period of small oscillations is
$$T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{R^3(\eta^2+1)}{2GM_e(\eta^2-1)}}$$
According to the question, this is equal to orbital period which is ##2\pi\sqrt{R^3/(GM_e)}##. Equating both the expressions,
$$\frac{\eta^2+1}{2(\eta^2-1)}=1$$
Solving for ##\eta##, ##\eta=\sqrt{3}## but this is wrong. :(

Please help me point out the error in my above working. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I cannot spot any error in #33 (except the second equation has one extra 2 in the denominator, but that is corrected in subsequent equations).

Perhaps we need to review our assumptions about the model.
 
Pranav-Arora said:
$$U=U_0-\frac{GM_em}{2}\left(\frac{4b^2}{R^3}-\frac{4a^2}{R^3}\right)\frac{\theta^2}{2}$$
$$\Rightarrow U=U_0-\frac{2GM_em(b^2-a^2)}{R^3}\theta^2$$
I think you didn't cancel the 2's quite correctly.
 
haruspex said:
I think you didn't cancel the 2's quite correctly.

Yes, sorry about that but the next equation is correct. I accidentally put another 2 there.
 
You will need to be more accurate in the initial expressions for the distances from the center of the Earth to the masses ##m## as functions of ##\theta##. You have to be careful that you are accurate to ##\theta ^2## in ##U##. The law of cosines might be helpful. See the figure for the bottom mass ##m##.
 
Attachments
  • swing mass.png
    swing mass.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 2 people
TSny said:
You will need to be more accurate in the initial expressions for the distances from the center of the Earth to the masses ##m## as functions of ##\theta##. You have to be careful that you are accurate to ##\theta ^2## in ##U##. The law of cosines might be helpful. See the figure for the bottom mass ##m##.

Great, thanks a lot TSny! :smile:

I thought that calculating the second derivatives would be a mess because it would involve surds in the denominator but really, it wasn't because the approximations worked fine and there was no need to calculate the derivatives.
Here's what I did:

Number the particles starting from the bottom one and going clockwise. From cosine rule,
$$r_1^2=a^2+R^2-2aR\cos\theta \Rightarrow \frac{1}{r_1}=\cfrac{1}{R\sqrt{1+\cfrac{a^2}{R^2}-\frac{2a}{R}\cos\theta}}$$
Using the approximation,
$$\frac{1}{1-2x\cos\theta+x^2} \approx 1+x\cos\theta+\frac{3\cos(2\theta)+1}{4}x^2$$
##1/r_1## can be simplified to
$$\frac{1}{r_1}=\frac{1}{R}\left(1+\frac{a}{R} \cos \theta+\frac{3\cos(2\theta)+1}{4}\frac{a^2}{R^2}\right)$$
Similarly,
[tex]\frac{1}{r_2}=\frac{1}{R}\left(1+\frac{b}{R}\sin\theta+\frac{1-3\cos(2\theta)}{4}\frac{b^2}{R^2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{r_3}=\frac{1}{R}\left(1-\frac{a}{R}\cos\theta+\frac{3\cos(2\theta)+1}{4}\frac{a^2}{R^2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{r_4}=\frac{1}{R}\left(1-\frac{b}{R}\sin\theta+\frac{1-3\cos(2\theta)}{4}\frac{b^2}{R^2}\right)[/tex]
Potential energy U is:
[tex]U=-\frac{GM_em}{r_1}-\frac{GM_em}{r_2}-\frac{GM_em}{r_3}-\frac{GM_em}{r_4}+C[/tex]
where C is a constant comprising of potential energy of central mass wrt Earth and of point masses wrt each other and the central mass.
Substituting the expressions,
[tex]U=-\frac{GM_em}{R}\left(4+\frac{3\cos(2\theta)+1}{2}\frac{a^2}{R^2}+\frac{1-3\cos(2\theta)}{2}\frac{b^2}{R^2}\right)+C[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow U=-\frac{GM_em}{R}\left(4+\frac{a^2}{2R^2}+\frac{b^2}{2R^2}+\frac{3\cos(2\theta)}{2R^2}(a^2-b^2)\right)+C[/tex]
Since ##\theta## is small, ##\cos2\theta \approx 1-2\theta^2##.
[tex]\Rightarrow U=-\frac{GM_em}{R}\left(k'-\frac{3}{R^2}(a^2-b^2)\theta^2\right)+C[/tex]
where k' replaces the constant terms inside the parentheses.
Kinetic energy K is
$$K=m(a^2+b^2)\dot{\theta}^2$$
Hence,
$$E=-\frac{GM_em}{R}\left(k'-\frac{3}{R^2}(a^2-b^2)\theta^2\right)+C+m(a^2+b^2)\dot{\theta}^2$$
$$\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{3GM_em}{R^3}(a^2-b^2)(2\theta\dot{\theta})+m(a^2+b^2)(2\dot{\theta}\ddot{\theta})=0$$
Simplifying,
$$\ddot{\theta}=-\frac{3GM_em(a^2-b^2)}{R^3(a^2+b^2)}\theta$$
Therefore, the time period of small oscillations is
$$T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{R^3(a^2+b^2)}{3GM_em(a^2-b^2)}}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{R^3(\eta^2+1)}{3GM_em(\eta^2-1)}}$$
This is equal to ##2\pi\sqrt{R^3/(GM_e)}##. Equating,
$$\frac{\eta^2+1}{3(\eta^2-1)}=1$$
Solving for ##\eta##,
$$\eta=\sqrt{2}$$
This is the correct answer. Thanks a lot everyone. :)

Sorry for such a long post, I hope my work is correct. I still have one more question. How do I take those approximations? I had to use Wolfram Alpha for that.

Thank you again!
 
That looks very good to me. (I noticed a couple of typos: there should be a square root on the left side of the second equation and the ##m## cancels in deriving ##\ddot{\theta}##.)

For the approximation, show that the Taylor expansion of ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}} \approx 1-\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{3}{8} x^2##.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Since you are using Wolfram Alpha anyway, taking derivatives should not be a problem:

$$ U''(0) = -GM_e m (-(a R)/(a^2-2 a R+R^2)^{3/2}+(a R)/(a^2+2 a R+R^2)^{3/2}+(6 b^2 R^2)/(b^2+R^2)^{5/2}) $$ (this could have been simplified, but I copied it from WA with minimal editing)

Using WA again, I found that the first derivative of the first two terms at ##a = 0## is zero, and the second derivative is ## -12/R^3 ##; likewise, the first derivative of the third term at ## b=0 ## is zero, and the second is ## 12/R^3 ##. Thus, $$ U''(0) \approx - 6 GM_e m \frac {b^2 - a^2} {R^3} $$ So $$ U(\theta) \approx U_0 - 3 GM_e m \frac {b^2 - a^2} {R^3} \theta^2 $$ Same result as yours, but no magic approximations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Very sorry for the late reply.

TSny said:
That looks very good to me. (I noticed a couple of typos: there should be a square root on the left side of the second equation and the ##m## cancels in deriving ##\ddot{\theta}##.)

For the approximation, show that the Taylor expansion of ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}} \approx 1-\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{3}{8} x^2##.

Thank you TSny! I used Taylor expansion and using the approximations, I ended up with same expression as shown by Wolfram Alpha. :smile: