Time varying magnetic field and electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a static electron in a time-varying magnetic field. The Faraday's law states that a time-varying magnetic field creates a flow of electrons on a closed circuit, but it is unclear what happens to a lonely charge. The speaker receives help and clarification on the Lorentz force and the presence of an electric field in the situation. The conversation also mentions the transformer and betatron electron accelerator as examples. The final question poses an extra credit exercise to determine the resulting force on an electron located at the origin with a specific B-field.
pedro-filipe
I am a bit depressed, I have just finished my PhD as a physicist and cannot work out this simple question.

I am trying to find out what happens to a static electron in a time varying magnetic field.

This is my understanding:

There are two laws, the Lorentz's force, for moving charges, and the Faraday's Law for time varying magnetic fields.

The electron is not moving, therefore v=0, and Lorentz force = 0

From the Faraday's law, a time varying magnetic field creates a flow of electrons on a closed circuit. But I am not sure what happens to a lonely charge.

Any help and or corrections is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is a time-varying magnetic field, then there is an electric field, so the Lorentz force is not zero.

I see. Thanks, I was in fact looking at an incomplete formula for the Lorentz formula, without the q E component.

I will try and workout what the E field looks like.

Thanks for your help phyzguy.

[tex]\nabla\times{E} = -\frac{\partial{B}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]

Extra credit: if B=-t along the positive Z axis, what is the resulting force on an electron located at the origin?

1. What is a time varying magnetic field?

A time varying magnetic field is a magnetic field that changes in strength or direction over time. This can be caused by a changing electric current or movement of charged particles.

2. How does a time varying magnetic field affect electrons?

A time varying magnetic field can induce an electric field in a conductor, which in turn can cause the electrons in the conductor to move. This movement of electrons can generate an electric current.

3. What is the relationship between a time varying magnetic field and electromagnetic waves?

A time varying magnetic field is one of the components of an electromagnetic wave. When a magnetic field varies over time, it creates an electric field, which then creates a magnetic field, and this cycle repeats, creating an electromagnetic wave.

4. How does a time varying magnetic field impact electronic devices?

A time varying magnetic field can induce unwanted currents in electronic devices, leading to interference and potential damage. To mitigate this, electronic devices often have shielding or grounding to protect against external magnetic fields.

5. Can a time varying magnetic field be used for practical applications?

Yes, time varying magnetic fields have a variety of practical applications, such as in electric generators, transformers, and medical devices like MRI machines. They can also be used in power transmission and communication systems.