Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time varying magnetic field and electron

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    I am a bit depressed, I have just finished my PhD as a physicist and cannot work out this simple question.

I am trying to find out what happens to a static electron in a time varying magnetic field.

This is my understanding:

There are two laws, the Lorentz's force, for moving charges, and the Faraday's Law for time varying magnetic fields.

The electron is not moving, therefore v=0, and Lorentz force = 0

From the Faraday's law, a time varying magnetic field creates a flow of electrons on a closed circuit. But I am not sure what happens to a lonely charge.

Any help and or corrections is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

If there is a time-varying magnetic field, then there is an electric field, so the Lorentz force is not zero.

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    I see. Thanks, I was in fact looking at an incomplete formula for the Lorentz formula, without the q E component.

I will try and workout what the E field looks like.

Thanks for your help phyzguy.

5. Jun 17, 2010 #4
  6. Jun 17, 2010 #5

K^2

Science Advisor

[tex]\nabla\times{E} = -\frac{\partial{B}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]

7. Jun 17, 2010 #6
    Extra credit: if B=-t along the positive Z axis, what is the resulting force on an electron located at the origin?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook