Tips for an engineering student

In summary, the conversation discusses the career prospects of a first year engineering student majoring in electronics and considering a minor in economics. The student is aiming for a master's degree and has a dream of moving to the United States for work. It is suggested that combining electronics and economics may be beneficial for employability and management positions. It is also mentioned that seeking a degree in the US may increase chances of getting a job there. The conversation ends with someone sharing their experience with a similar education in the Netherlands and expressing interest in finding a similar program in Finland.
Kruum
I'm a first year engineering student in a Finnish University. I'm majoring in electronics, more specifically microchip and microprocessor design, and was thinkin to take my minor from something completely different area like economics. Currently I'm only aiming for masters degree. I know this combination is desired after in Finland, but my post-graduate dream is to move to United-States. What are the prospects of getting a job with education like this in US? Should I apply for an exchange program? What are the chances for a foreigner to get a job in US in general? Anything else I can do to improve my chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think an electronics (electrical engineering, I'm guessing) and economics combination would be very employable, and probably help with management positions.

That being said, there are others here who will have more knowledge of that field, and of industry.

csprof2000 said:
(electrical engineering, I'm guessing)

Yep, that's right.

That being said, there are others here who will have more knowledge of that field, and of industry.

So what you're saying is, I should consentrate on one field only, not mix engineering and economics? Or are maybe implying something about finnish education. :wink:

Last edited:
No, all I'm saying is that other people on these forums will know more about non-academic jobs than I do... and will be able to give you better advice.

csprof2000 said:
No, all I'm saying is that other people on these forums will know more about non-academic jobs than I do... and will be able to give you better advice.

Ah, okay. I thought by here you meant US. Thanks for the reply, though.

Anybody else has suggestions?

If you want to get a job in the U.S, it seems that your best bet would be to get a degree in the US, although I am no expert on this.

My girlfriend wanted to go the the UK for grad schools but her professors convinced her it would be better to go in the US if you want to live in the US.

Hi,

i did an education like that in the netherlands (commercieel Ingenieur as in Commerce and Engineering). Now I'm a lecturer there. I am looking for the same education in Finland!

Marcel van Geffen

What are some tips for an engineering student?

1. Stay organized and manage your time wisely: Engineering courses can be demanding, so it's important to have a schedule and plan your tasks accordingly.

2. Practice problem-solving: Engineering is all about finding solutions to complex problems, so make sure to practice and hone your problem-solving skills.

3. Stay updated on industry trends: It's important to stay informed about the latest developments and advancements in your field to stay competitive.

4. Network with professionals: Attend career fairs and networking events to build connections with professionals in your field. They can offer valuable insights and advice for your future career.

5. Take breaks and prioritize self-care: Engineering can be mentally and physically taxing, so make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.