1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To be a Physicist .

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    To be a Physicist ..............

a great welcome to all physicists,
    i have some questions

1- What is the best textbook in general physics ?
    2- What is the best textbook in mathematical physics ?
    3- What is the best textbook in quantum mechanics ?
    4- What is the best textbook in statistical mechanics ?
    5- What is the best textbook in nuclear physics ?
    6- What is the best textbook in solid state physics ?
    Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: To be a Physicist ..............

1- Advanced Physics - Adams / Fundamentals of physics (Regular edition) - Halliday
    2 - Mathematical Physics - Hassani / A course in modern mathematical physics - szerekes
    3- Principles of Quantum mechanics - Shankar
    4 - Statistical Physics - Mandl
    5 - Nuclear physics - Krane / Nuclear Physics: Principles and Applications -Lilley
    6 - I can't name any, I used Solid State Physics by Kitell, and it was really bad i think.

4. May 19, 2009 #3

thank you very much
    and i deal with you about kittel solid state

5. May 20, 2009 #4

I'm sure there are threads in the "Science Book Discussion" archives on all of those topics.

The Szerekes book already mentioned is advanced and very modern, particularly in its coverage of algebra. An excellent reference for theoreticians, but pretty dry reading.

I really like the Dover book Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics by Byron and Fuller.

6. May 20, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, Szerekes is really boring and dry, and many of the examples are not so well explained.

It is however an excellent reference.

You have not asked for books on Relativity, Astrophysics, and Analytical Mechanics. Relativity and Analytical Mechanics is really important in today's physics. So you need to specify what you mean by "general physics".

7. Jun 3, 2009 #6

1- best textbook in general physics: Halliday
    2- best textbook in mathematical physics: Riley "undergraduates", & for postgrad u have to find book dealing extensively with geometry like: Hassani, Vaughn, Courant, Schutz
    3- best textbook in quantum mechanics: Merzbacher
    4- best textbook in statistical mechanics: Patheria
    5- best textbook in nuclear physics: Krane, Lilley "there is no one best book"
    6- best textbook in solid state physics: Ashkroft, Kittel "there is also no one best book"
    7- best textbook in Classical Mechanics: Goldstein, Arnold, Landau

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook