Today is 10/10/2020: Is This a Special Day?

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, The speaker shares that they have something important to say and they want to seize the opportunity to say it now. They mention that it is a special day, 10/10/2020, which is significant in America even though the date is said differently there. The speaker then brings up the concept of physical constants and how they dictate the universe. They note that tomorrow would be a good day for a reminder. The conversation ends with a joke about taking a selfie at a specific date and time.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am not sure this is worth saying but if I don't say it now there will never be another chance, whereas I am in a position to be the first to say it here. It was pointed out to me this morning that today is 10/10/2020. Er, in America you say that the wrong way round don't you, but it is still special the same way.

OK the numbering is essentially arbitrary, the only non-arbitrary physical things are dimensionless ratios of a handful of fundamental physical constants, is that right? If and oniy if they were different the universe would be different from what it is, is that right? Some of us could maybe do with reminding. Though there is no special day for that, tomorrow will do.

Likes Klystron and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm ... I guess it means we should do everything twice twice.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
The only thing that makes this selfie stick out is that it was taken on 11.12.13 at 14:15:16

IMG_0755.jpg

Likes Hamiltonian, Klystron, Wrichik Basu and 3 others

1. What makes today, 10/10/2020, a special day?

Today is considered a special day because it is a palindromic date, meaning it can be read the same forwards and backwards. This type of date only occurs in the mm/dd/yyyy format once every 100 years.

2. Is there any significance to the number 10/10/2020?

While the date may seem significant due to its symmetry, there is no specific significance to the number 10/10/2020. However, it is a notable date for being a palindromic date and for being the 10th day of the 10th month in the year 2020.

3. Are there any historical events or celebrations associated with 10/10/2020?

There are no significant historical events or major celebrations associated with 10/10/2020. However, some people may choose to celebrate this unique date or use it as a special occasion for personal milestones or events.

4. Will 10/10/2020 occur again in the future?

No, the date 10/10/2020 will not occur again in the future in the mm/dd/yyyy format. The next palindromic date in this format will be 12/12/2121.

5. How do scientists and mathematicians calculate the frequency of palindromic dates?

Scientists and mathematicians use a combination of mathematical calculations and computer simulations to determine the frequency of palindromic dates in a specific date format. They take into account factors such as the number of days in a month, leap years, and the number of digits in the year to calculate the frequency of these dates occurring.