Science Top Discovery of 2004: Mars Had Vast Pools of Water

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the most important scientific achievement of 2004, according to the editors of the journal Science, was the conclusive discovery of vast pools of water on Mars and the possibility of life on the planet. Other notable events included the discovery of hobbits, 4-meter tall hominid fossils, and a piece of chocolate bar found in someone's navel.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
WASHINGTON - The conclusive discovery by a pair of wheeled robots that Mars once had vast pools of water and possibly could have harbored life was chosen by the editors of the journal Science as the most important scientific achievement of 2004. [continued]
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6724037/

First runners up were the hobbits! :cool:
See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=50855

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice.
I write a zine and this year I decided to have a Top 10 Science Stories in 2004 list. They're actually rather time-consuming to write! That and I keep getting worried whenever I see other people's lists coming out left and right and what made mine... ah well it's all opinion anyway. I'm going to try and finish mine tonight and post it if anyone's interested.

Next to find: 4-meter tall hominid fossils! "We represent the lollipop guild"?

A piece of chocolate bar was found in my navel.

BoulderHead said:
A piece of chocolate bar was found in my navel.

I doubt it's still there.

What is the significance of the discovery of vast pools of water on Mars in 2004?

The discovery of vast pools of water on Mars in 2004 was significant because it provided strong evidence that Mars once had the conditions necessary to support life. This discovery also opened up new possibilities for future exploration and potential colonization of the Red Planet.

How was the discovery of water on Mars made?

The discovery of water on Mars was made by the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, which landed on the planet in 2004. The rover used its instruments to analyze the chemical composition of rocks and soil, and the data collected showed high levels of salt deposits, indicating the past presence of liquid water.

What does the discovery of water on Mars suggest about the planet's past?

The discovery of water on Mars suggests that the planet had a warmer and wetter past. It is believed that Mars was once a habitable planet, with a thicker atmosphere, flowing water, and potentially even life. This discovery supports the theory that Mars was once more similar to Earth.

How does the discovery of water on Mars impact future missions to the planet?

The discovery of water on Mars has greatly impacted future missions to the planet. It has shifted the focus of exploration from searching for water to investigating the potential for past or present life on Mars. This discovery has also opened up new possibilities for human exploration and potential colonization of the Red Planet.

What other discoveries have been made about Mars since the discovery of water in 2004?

Since the discovery of water on Mars in 2004, there have been several other significant discoveries. These include the detection of methane gas in the atmosphere, evidence of ancient lakes and rivers, and the presence of organic molecules - all of which further support the theory of Mars once being a habitable planet.

Back