Textbooks to prepare for physics olympiad after Tipler/Mosca mechanics and EM

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 12K views
1st2fall
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
I'm an 11th grader finishing Mechanics and Emag and I would like to ask you for your advice on textbooks and material I will need to cover to prepare for next years Olympiad. The book I used for Mech/Emag is by Tipler/Mosca. I have heard Halliday/Resnick is good but I don't know for which topics I could use it. I own Irodov's and have worked through most of the Kinematics and am hoping to start the next section soon.

Thank you in advanced for your time and thoughts
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Young & Freedman "University Physics" extended edition should cover everything you'll need. It covers all the mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, relativity and quantum physics which will be on the internation final, to my knowledge.
 
Last edited:
espen180 said:
Young & Freedman "University Physics" extended edition should cover everything you'll need. It covers all the mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, relativity and quantum physics which will be on the internation final, to my knowledge.
How can I acquire this book? Also... what does the extended cover that the normal version does not?
 
1st2fall said:
How can I acquire this book?

If amazon.com doesn't work for you, it might help if you give us some idea of where in the world you are located.
 
1st2fall said:
Also... what does the extended cover that the normal version does not?

Modern physics, like relativity theory, quantum physics and particle physics.
 
Yes, a lot of textbooks at the level come in versions with and without modern physics. In fact, Tipler/Mosca is one of them, so 1st2fall must have the version without. If he likes what he has already, he might consider getting Volume 3 which contains only the modern physics chapters:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1429201347/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes I forgot about Tipler but that does not go into nearly as much depth as it should for physicists. Tipler is more of your engineering/chemistry take on physics.

I would recommend the same as espen180, Young & Freedman University Physics with Modern Physics. Not only would it help you for the olympiad but if you wish to pursue a degree in physics then Young & Freedman will be your reference book for your first two years (freshman and sophomore).
 
Last edited: