1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topic for physics undergraduate research

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    I am a physics major.

I took introductory quantum mechanics, theoretical mechanics, general relativity, and math until linear algebra, diff. equations, probability and statistics, and discrete math.

I had decided to do some research while being undergraduate. Approaching faculty members did not succeed since all faculty believed only graduates would do research. (my college is in Egypt - the idea of undergrad research is really absurd.)

I thought that I may come up with a topic first, then I would seek their assistance. They are really helpful but they just do not get it that undergraduates may do research.

Please help me by suggesting a specific topic that I may research - and it would be really appreciated if you could elaborate what textbooks/papers I should be aware of first.

I have no problem if I had to read many textbooks/papers this semester and start research in spring.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
    no topics? :D

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    It's too difficult for an undergraduate to do this sort of thing without the guidance of a professor. I would think it would be easier to just pester some faculty and show examples of undergraduates publishing papers in highly-regarded journals in the U.S. to convince them. I don't think coming up with a research topic would be very impressive, but then again it really depends. You could try looking into a professor's area of research and coming up with an idea within that, but you likely won't have enough understanding to do that.

What you could do is ask them to do a directed reading (like a 1-on-1 study) on something that's related to their area of research. Perhaps you can show them your abilities and convince them to let you do research with them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook